Sunday, July 23, 2023

It's a Wrap

Hello. 

It has been a week of busy. I feel like I need one day here at the hotel of me just falling in the pool, coming out to the patio, drying in the bright sunshine, and doing that over and over. Alone. As much as I love my family, I've hit my psychic and spiritual limit on being around others. 

I don't want to write a full blow by blow report of the week. We actually had a great time. Linda and I did wonderfully together (only got snippy once with each other and wine was involved, and we'll just say that passed quickly because it was something stupid).  

Highlights:

  • I flew up to TF Green airport on Saturday. a 50 minute flight. Why have I not been doing this all along?
  • Jess got here Saturday morning and spent the day with Grandma. 
  • Saturday we started housecleaning, got my dad's clothing for the funeral that he didn't want (long story) and realized the house was not fit for all 3 of us to stay over so...
  • Linda, Jess, and I stayed at a hotel Saturday night.
  • Sunday, more cleaning. A lot more cleaning. Doug, Geoff, and Phineas arrived Sunday night after driving north for 11 hours in pouring, torrential rain and tornado warnings. 
  • Monday we met with the funeral director, finalized the death certificate, got the template for the obituary, picked the photo my mom wanted to use, started sorting through photos for the service and slideshow. More cleaning. Time with the boys.
  • Jess had gone back home on Sunday night, returned down here on Thursday. We flew Ronnie up from NY and Doug picked him up at the airport for us. 
  • We went to Shaw's supermarket for the funeral flowers. Someone at the bar recommended them, said they do an amazing job and cost far less than the florists in town. He was right. They were outstanding. 
  • We met all our deadlines. Obit submitted on time, slideshow completed on time. Flowers picked up. Showered, dressed, ready for the viewing on Friday.  
  • A friend of mine from College watched Phineas on Friday night and on Saturday during our post funeral meal. Forever thankful to her. 
  • Carrie came and was fascinated by KENO. It's too bad Bart is gone because he could teach her how it works, but, Doug knows so next time we're together he'll teach her how to do it. Everyone my folks hang out with play the game at the bar. 
  • Linda played Bart's numbers on Thursday afternoon and hit for almost 600 bucks so that was fun.
  • It all went smoothly. I spent a lot of money on things we needed and wanted, and thus gave the man a send off to be remembered. We entertained my parents' friends. Cousins from all over. It was very nice.
  • My dad is dead. And this part of the project is done. 

What happens next? Well. 

Linda and I have to discuss when we want to have him interred in the cemetery in NY. We have to arrange with the Catholic church, probably have a gathering the night before like we did here, and then the cemetery and the burial. And then another after party for my dad's side of the family and all those cousins. And then that part of the project will be done. 

We are packing up the car right now to go. I'm just spending a minute in quiet by myself. Hopefully the weather and the traffic gods will be kind to us and we'll be home before too stinking late. 

Wish us luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment