Friday, April 26, 2024

Friday, Saturday, New York Bound, and Safe and Sound

Yesterday morning my friend from the Guster fan group came down from her place near Baltimore to WFH and babysit Toffee. They hit it off wonderfully, and Robin later sent a picture of Toffee snuggled up to her while she was working, looking totally at peace and happy. I feel so good about this. Robin misses her dogs back home in Colorado, so this is good for her too. 

We left our house around 11am and got to LI around 6pm. My husband greatly enjoys driving around North Jersey and through the Bronx over to Long Island, he becomes a different person almost. And this is right about where I start to hate the drive. Funny how that works. 

I don't deal well with nasty traffic and people who drive like maniacs. I do well right up to say, Elizabeth NJ. And that's Doug's favorite. 


Saw this painted on an overpass on the Cross Bronx, and thought yeah, I could use this. 

We checked into the hotel and found a diner. A nice, honest Long Island diner. We enjoyed a good meal, and came back to the hotel. Linda beat us here, and had picked up beer and snacky snacks for us for hockey watching. 

While the boys watched hockey, she and I sat in her room and caught up on things. I put Linz to bed and went back to my room and found Doug was already in bed, wiped out from too many snacks and beer and hockey. I was up until about midnight, just dicking around on my phone. I thought about going downstairs to write a blog entry but my pants were already off. 

This morning, Linda had left the hotel early to head home to work (she stayed here because we were expecting our friend Ginger to be with us, but she had to cancel, so Linz had a room to keep). Geoff was down at breakfast already so I went and hung out with him. Drank a lot of coffee and treated myself to a waffle. So. Dang. Good. And bacon for some protein. I did some work, a few things that I needed to followup on from work, and I still have one more thing I have to do that is haunting me. But I didn't dive into it. I'll get to it. 

Talked to Carrie, sat until the restaurant closed and went up to the boys. I needed a haircut, and dress shoes. So I picked a supercuts and they took care of me. I then found a DSW, got 2 pairs of shoes that I didn't hate. 

Got back to the hotel and Doug and Geoff were hungry for lunch so we went to Dark Horse Tavern in Farmingdale. 

Now, I'm from Huntington and usually when we are on Long Island, we hang in Funnington. But Doug found a spot that looked good, and we went. Excellent choice. Lots of local craft beer choices, and great food. Not a lot of customers, so we had some personal attention to chat with the bartender. 




We were headed to Linda's so Doug and Geoff could meet the puppy when Jess called to let us know they'd made it to the hotel and delivered Grandma to her room. Linda is sharing her room with grandma, and Jess and Geoff are in the room across the hall from us.  

Jess was exhausted and hungry. So we rerouted from on the way to Linda back to the hotel to gather round her for support and snacks. 

I tucked mom in for a nap, figured it was a long day for her. Doug, Jess, and Geoff napped and eventually I was hungry so I ordered pizza for delivery, and breaking us out of Pizza Jail. The girl at the front desk was super sweet, recommended a place right around the corner. And she was spot on for her recommendation. 

Linda was running errands and printing things, and doing stuff, and getting everything ready for tomorrow. She got to the hotel after 8:30, made mom a pbj sandwich (brought all the stuff AND lemon loaf AND core water AND powder crystal lite to put into the water). 

Jess joined us and we let mom go to sleep (we kept her up after 9pm) and it was time for arts and crafts. Linda sliced the prayer cards she printed, and we compared them to the size from the funeral home last July, they were much smaller even though the template she bought was for the same size. So we think Staples just didn't print them edge to edge. 

We still like the ones she made, so she sliced and sliced. And we opted not to laminate them because it would be smelly. And we were in my room, and Doug would have been mad if we made stinky stuff. 

We talked about going downstairs and doing it in the lobby or asking if there was a meeting room we could do it in, and there was a giant crowd in the bar - big wedding party shenanigans happening, so we opted not to make it smelly (possibly) down there. 

I walked outside with Lin so she could have another cigarette and did my last steps. When you are 500 steps from the 10k goal... well there's no reason not to do it, eh? 

Plus, I gotta walk off the pizza! Also, it is so nice being out of Pizza Jail.  
Digits for both Thursday and Friday below. 

Friday digits: 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps;  took a decent walk after lunch but it didn't register as "exercise" on the fitbit. Must have been leisurely. 10,100+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

xam: forgot to take morning digits before brekkie
5pm:  201
11pm: 201

food:

coffee/water
9am: waffle w/butter & syrup. Bacon
11am: metformin
2:30pm: shrimp quesadilla, 3 beers
7pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm: 2 slices of amazing NY Pizza, 3 beers

Thursday digits: 

exercise: 9/12 hours of 250 steps;  missed 3 hours from being in the car. 8k steps by bedtime (due to the amount of house cleaning/laundry/etc I did before 10:30am.)

blood glucose:

7am: 179
xpm: n/a no mid-day check in, in the car
11pm: 178

food:

coffee/water
11am: metformin, A couple forkfuls of chicken salad
2pm: burger king crispy chicken sandwich, disgusting. ate the chicken, threw everything else out. Diet coke
7pm: large piece of spanikopita, patty melt (ate about 1 slice of the bread) cheese and onions; a couple french fries.
8pm: metformin+jardiance
white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment