Tuesday, April 02, 2024

The Screaming Mimis

My sister used to have backyard neighbors that she called the screaming mimis. 

The children would come out to play. And they would SCREAM. Outside voice, at 20,000 db. The mother would come out and scream at the screaming kids. 

This went on forever, and Lin called them the Screaming Mimis, or just the Mimis for short. 

They moved away and there was peace and quiet in the kingdom. But a new family has moved in and, well. not quite as bad as the Mimis, but they are kids and they are noisy. 

We're in a hotel today. Lin and I are both working. And the room next door has small children in it. The screaming. The pounding on the wall and the earth shattering jumping off the bed stuff. 

sigh.

I got up and went and knocked on the door. I was that guy. 

A teenaged girl answered the door. 

Me: Hi. 
Teenaged Girl (TG): Hi.
Me: I'm in the next room
[two small girls come running to the door, squealing.]
Me: Oh! Hello! 
[squealing continues]
I turned to the older girl and asked she could please get them to stop kicking the wall. Please.
TG: I'm so sorry.
Me: I understand the screeching. I've been cooped up in hotel rooms with little ones before. I get it. But the .... wall kicking is not cool. My head is right there [pointing to the shared wall and making a face].
TG: I am so very sorry.
Me: Thanks I have a confer ----- [smallest of the small girls rushes to hug me. Her pyjamas say Easter Egg Hunting Champion 2024. She's cute as fuck.] Oh this is surprising hello. Very nice. So nice to hug you. [larger small girl also comes in for the big hug] Oh and yes you too hello. 
TG: Thanks. I'm sorry. I'll try to keep them quiet. 
Me: Thanks a lot [small girls blow me kisses. I feel manipulated into not being as super mad as I wanted to be]

Walk back into my room to screaming through the wall. 

I'm sitting there thinking. What's up with that. Are they homeless and live here now? Are their parents at work? TG should be in school? What's happening. Also, TG, it's not bad out maybe take the two smalls for a really nice walk around the cranberry bog? Maybe? There's a pool? Can you all go to the pool? Can I take you to target and buy you bathing suits if you live here? 

Are you being human trafficked? What are the stories. What is happening. 

Should I keep my brain on work [squealing] and not worry about the kids [someone lands on the floor, there is laughter] 

At least the kicking and pounding on the wall stopped. 

We both got a lot of work done, I got a treadmill walk in, which was super nice. Hotel life. Just go downstairs. Walk on machine. Go back upstairs. Not saying I need a basement treadmill, what with actually having a gym membership and all. But just signing off for a little bit and going down was good. I wanted to take a walk around the cranberry bog out back but it is too cold and windy today. Treadmill was helpful. 

Lin and I went to dinner with our friend Alex. We didn't get to spend any time with him during the Boston Guster fun, so we got to go out tonight and kept the good Guster vibes going! 

We got back to the hotel and fell down a rabbit hole of Justin Timberlake videos where he was on SNL and Jimmy Fallon. Honestly hilarious. 

Digits below! 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  15 min on the treadmill approx .6 miles; 7500+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

9am: 181
4:15pm: 154
10pm: 230
12:15am: 161

food:

coffee/water 
noon: triscuits and slicey cheese
1:30pm: Metformin
a few more pieces of cheese
7:30pm: piece of brisket quesadilla. Salmon, broccolini, mashed potatoes, 2 beers
8:30pm: Metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment