Tuesday, April 16, 2024

From Friday to Monday

Monday Morning:
Writing this from one of my girl C's apartments. She owns a number of apartments/buildings and it is nice to have a little space. She and I stayed here for the weekend because Camp was not Camp ready. So we didn't have any Porch Life, but soon. Very soon. 

It was a busy weekend with a lot going on. I tracked my sugar/food but didn't write it down. Kept things good and even, and no huge and horrible spikes. 

Friday afternoon C came and got me from mom's. I had a busy work-day and I was incredibly pressed about having to leave work. Mom was dressed, ready, waiting at the dining table while I was scrambling to finish emails and messages. 

We were met at the foodrinkery by my friend A and her son who just got his Eagle. I was surprised they were there and staying for lunch. My mom chose to sit at the bar and eat rather than sit with us, which I found obnoxious but okay mom - you do you. Whatever. 

I had scallops. I was there for almost 2 weeks and had not had scallops. It was a good thing to have before my departure. 

We got to Boston very early for David Sedaris, so we had drinks at a little local bar by Symphony Hall and I felt like they could have done so much better with their beer and wine selection, it was disappointment in solid/liquid form. We ate at an Indian restaurant around the corner and confused the waitstaff. C's sister R was with us, a very good friend of hers in town for a class at MIT, C's friend B who manages the properties C owns. And Jess. Jess came with. Girls' night, seeing America's favorite snarky satirist. 

Sedaris was funny. He's in a groove, a long time groove, and his essays are personal, honest, but sometimes it is hard to tell if he is being satirical or hyperbolic. Did he and his friend Dawn really walk 40+ miles and their apple watches (seems he's moved on from the FitBit) really register just under 100k steps? 

Also damn, I'm proud when I hit 5k, 7k. 

Highly recommend you see him if he comes near you. 

Saturday we got up and went out to breakfast with R, then went to Camp to do some stuff to start getting ready. There isn't running water yet, so we couldn't do as much as we wanted but we got the garden table pots out, moved the bikes out of the porch, investigated the very rustic over-winter of the bedding and couches, and C has an idea of what she needs to do next.  We went to C's workplace and looked at projects. I am always so impressed with their work and the things they do. 

Because Breakfast was huge and wonderful we weren't super hungry for lunch, but convinced ourselves to go out for an early dinner. It was very nice but I got an upset stomach and kind of a bad reaction that had me in the bathroom a lot overnight on Saturday. 

Ugh. 

We watched the Barbie movie, which I enjoyed and is not what I think a lot of people think it is about. Overall very enjoyable and fantastically cast. Ten thumbs up. 

Sunday we laid around with the dogs, drank coffee, just relaxed. Nice. We went out to lunch with our friend Dave up in Maine, very nice. Because I still had the lower belly issues I only had a lobster bisque which I could have eaten a gallon of. Very good stuff. Would love to go back to eat there one day. On the deck. Outside. Maine. Sunshine and summer. 

Sunday night I went out to dinner with Jess and friends from my job 27 years ago, it's nice to still have friends like this who you fall back into step with like you saw each other last week. We shut the restaurant down, they headed home and Jess came to C's with me. We drank wine and watched Pitch Perfect, which I had never seen, on purpose. For years I spent a lot of time going to High School and Collegiate a Cappella competitions with my friend Amy. So this was a little PTSD for me. 

After Jess left, C and I watched some actual ICCA things, Guster covers (a very flat/out of tune Harvard presentation of Demons, and Notre Dame's version of Parachute which is fantastic). 

"This is what Collegiate a Cappella is. Pitch Perfect is cute, but, this is real," I had some distinct memories of some of the shows, and the High School kids who were just ridiculously talented. Not everyone can turn into the Housejacks or Pentatonix or Home Free, but, there is some sick talent out there. Looking at you Marblehead and Salem, MA. 

Carrie went to the office today and took the dogs. I'm surprisingly lonely without them. But I'm getting a lot of work done. 

I stripped the bed, washed the laundry, vacuumed, ran the dishwasher. I would have done more but I have to actually work? 

We had a team meeting today and then I talked to my work bestie for an hour. We have not had time together for a while and it was long overdue. 

Worked more, hid love notes all over C's house, just to let her know how awesome she is.  


Continued Tuesday Morning:
C got me to the airport plenty early. Security had 10 people in it. I had a bottle of spray-on hair conditioner in my bag that got confiscated. 10 ounces, brand new. Thanks. I blame myself because I reorganized my bags and put all my meds/supplements and I THOUGHT anything liquid into my checked bag. But I missed that one. Blah. 

Doug picked me up and brought Toffee, and she was very excited to see me. I was excited to see her too. We didn't stop for dinner or anything, I wasn't hungry. I mostly just wanted to be home. And home it was. 

Back to normal. 

Here is a photo dump of some of the things. I took more pictures but can't post them because they are super top secret. Let us never speak of them again. In no particular order....










No comments:

Post a Comment