Monday, May 23, 2022

Day 1: Stranded Boys Land

I got to my friend's house at about 6:30 Sunday night, waiting out the giant violent thunderstorm we had.  I took an Uber because Geoff had taken the car earlier that day to a show in Baltimore. I could have had him drop me off before he left for the show, but felt it was too early. 

I wanted to give them some elbow room without mom.  And as I suspected, the boys were alright. 

I got there and Older brother was on his computer downstairs, Smol Boi was on the couch watching video game playthroughs. He knows every character from so many cross over games, and "multi-verse" games, like The Iron Giant, but he's never seen the movie or some TV shows. 

I told him maybe this week we'll watch the Iron Giant. You should know the real story about Iron Giant. He is not a gun. He is not meant to fight. He should not be in any of these games fighting other characters. 

It kind of makes me mad. I mean. I'm watching Charizard fight Avatar the last airbender... Wario vs. Mickey Mouse? The heck? 

I'm so relieved these videos didn't exist when my kids were little. It's one thing to play a game and another to watch these weirdo people who think they are hilarious (but they are not really) play it, sped up and slowed down set to anime music. And they're screaming. A lot.

Bad picture here, but I don't even know why we'd cross over these characters. And that tree is astonished. 

So am I. 

He's allowed to watch these until 8:30pm, and when he goes to bed he can't watch videos, but he can listen to a podcast or music. 

Anyway, last night everyone went to bed, and I was in the guest room roasting to death. Absolutely unable to get comfy. So I picked up and went to the living room - where there is a ceiling fan and a giant (not kidding) vent for the AC to come through. Finally, I managed to fall asleep around 1. 

The big brother is supposed to get up for school at 5:45, and leave the house at 6:15 to walk to the bus stop.  When they moved to the house they are in here, he wanted to go to the high school closer to their old house. To be with his friends, instead of the high school literally behind the house. After much discussion and the benefits of sticking with your friends, Mom said alright but he would have to commit to this bus thing and get to the bus stop on time. 

I woke up at 6:45 thinking wow, he was so quiet when he got up! He got breakfast, got out the door... silently! 

I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed his door was still closed and thought to myself, oh no. 

I tapped on the door, opened it, and he sat up in bed. Yuuuuup. Overslept. So he got dressed and ready, I made him some scrambled eggs and cheese, and he got an Uber at 7:15. 

Thought about going back to sleep for a while, but Smol Boi came out. And he's allowed to watch TV before school. As long as it is a TV show and not the ridiculous videos of guys playing video games and screaming through them. 

We watched Steven Universe, and I forgot how much I loved that show. He made himself breakfast, followed the house rules of eating at the table, and we left to walk to school on time. 

My workday was busy and complicated, but because I was alone in the house it was weird to not have a little dog next to me. Or hear Doug's laugh downstairs. Or have Geoff come and unload the dishwasher while I'm trying to hold a meeting. It was so quiet and weird.

I came home at lunchtime to go to the dentist. I had a procedure done where he put composite on my top teeth where the gum line has receded too far, instead of doing the thing where they pull from the roof of your mouth and it is super incredibly painful and horrible. He said this could buy me some time. But I'll probably need that done someday. Ugh.

It was an unpleasant experience. 14/10 do not recommend. But I survived. I don't want to do that again. Or the worse thing. I've always taken great care of my teeth, so this is disappointing that we're here at this junction. Boo. 

Anyway. This just happened:

Smol Boi goes and gets a packet of fruit snacks from cabinet.
Me: Why are you getting those? You have to go to bed in 15 minutes.
SB: I'm still hungry.
Me: Well, okay. But you have to brush your teeth. You can have that if you promise me you will brush your teeth.
SB gets off couch to run to bathroom.... to brush his teeth.
Me: No! After the snack! Before bed! you can't brush your teeth and then eat the fruit snacks! Then you have to brush your teeth again!
SB Laughing hysterically, comes running back to couch. 

So silly.

Exercise: 

Walk to the Smol Boi School & back, over 1 mile round trip.
Walk to the dentist, about a mile total.
It's a good day for walking.

Blood Glucose

9am: 206 and i don't know why that is so damn high! We had a walk! We had zero carb brekkie! What is this bullshit!
1:30pm 160 (about 1/2 hour after lunch, better?)
5:30pm 182
9:30pm 196

This was not a good day for blood

Food:

Coffee, with almond milk, which i did not enjoy (it's all J had in the house)
ice coffee
3 eggs scrambled with red onion and pepper jack cheese
Bowl of yogurt with blueberries
Some cauliflower/sausage/tomato recipe Doug found in a cookbook that looked good to him and it was good. very good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment