Saturday, May 21, 2022

Good morning, Farmer Chris

 This morning Doug woke up at about 7. Typical for Doug on a weekend. Hates getting up for work, up super early on the weekend. 

He normally comes out to the living room while my snoozes continue. I am rarely up before him. He then  charges his phone while playing games or reading Reddit or whatever. Around 7:30 and could hear the dog barking. It was annoying the hell out of me. Doug will let him bark and just sit here in the living room and ignore him. But that early, I don't accept that. Get your damn dog in the house when he's barking. 

I yelled out "Go get the dog!" and he didn't answer. So I got up, went to the bathroom, put shorts on, discovered he was not here in the living room per usual. So I whipped the front door open and he was sitting on the porch, drinking coffee, playing with his phone. While the dog was barking at the mailman, about 10 feet from him.

So they both looked at me like "whut." 

I went to get a cup of coffee, Doug came in for a refill. I said we should water the garden since it hasn't rained. 

"Knock yourself out," he says. 

So Farmer Chris went out to do the duties. I cut down some pokeweeds that he left on the fence (because they looked cool but I hate them). I watered the 3 garden beds. The tomatoes and peppers are looking good, and thankfully no birds or small animals have decided to eat and uproot our peppers (yet) like last year. Waiting for the tomatoes to get just a little taller before we cage them up. Watered the places where I put the morning glory and cosmos seeds, and noted that in less than a week I see that they are totally poking up and on their way. Excellent work, lil friends! I have some spots that I want to put more cosmos seeds but it is hot as blazes out there right now. 

I'll wait. 

Pulled the hose round back and watered the herbs. My dill looks a little bad in spots, and I noticed that maybe I didn't put enough dirt in the pot around the plant so I got some more from the shed and bolstered the soil. Everyone else is looking good. Watered the petunias and vinca and marigold pots. The marigold looks unwell, so I hope the water will help it. 

Doug (because he's an expert) has told me in the past that you don't water in the middle of the afternoon because that'll kind of bake/steam the plants in the heat. And you don't water in the evening because then the water just sits there and the plants can get mold. 

So you have to water in the morning. I asked him well, what about when it rains in the middle of the day or at night. What's the difference. He had no answer. I think he's working off some sort of old Western Pennsylvania Dutch/German wankery.

But baby, let me tell ya. I watered this morning. 

I finished up, got my coffee and sat out on the patio. Doug brought me breakfast (omelet with blistered grape tomatoes and feta cheese). It was lovely. Birdsong, breakfast, coffee, relaxation. Then it got too damn hot. 

Inside is much nicer. Heaven thank you, dear God bless you for AC. 

I've spent the better part of the day booking hotels for two trips. We're going to Massachusetts in June for a couple days, and my bestie is hosting us for 2 nights. Then we're spending a night in a hotel near where we used to live, and then to my parents' and the hotel near them. Then head home in one fell swoop and it'll be a Sunday in the Summer and I'm sure it is going to be The Suck travel wise. We will regret it, I'm sure.

I'm absolutely excited to see my friend. And oh yeah, my kid and parents. Whatever sure. 

Here is a picture of morning glory sprouts. They have a very unique almost "butterfly" look. I planted just a few at the fence posts but this is more than a few. And I'm spotting them in places I didn't plant them, so I wonder if they dropped seed from last year where the vines grew. And now I'm going to have billions of vines? We shall see!


 

Exercise: the gardening this morning was enough. My back was hating me pretty bad by the time I was done. 

Blood Glucose:

8:30am 147
3:30pm 141
9pm 157

Food:

Coffee
Iced Coffee
Water
Omelet with feta and tomatoes (and fresh thyme from our garden. Fancy)
6 slices of deli turkey, leftover coleslaw, about 5 oz sharp cheddar cheese
1.5 chicken breasts kind of done cordon bleu style by doug, with ham and gouda inside. roasted grape tomatoes and large salad






No comments:

Post a Comment