Friday, May 13, 2022

The right side of the bed

My trepidation about not being able to sleep last night due to the pain from falling down the stairs was unfounded. Thanks lone tramadol pill from a few years ago, and thanks sleeping on my side. I think I rolled over at least once, I know the blankets were pulled up on me at some point but I don't recall doing either. 

Around 6am I woke up and thought that Doug's cpap mask had slipped off his face, there was a loud roaring noise. This happens sometimes, and I nudge him and ask him to fix it. Sometimes that wakes him up fully, and then he's awake awake and goes to the guest room, so I woke up enough to listen. Phin was looking out the window, at the absolute pouring down rain. Ah. There's the answer! 

I got up to go to the bathroom, Phin followed and also had to go. I opened the door for him and there was reluctance but he went. The call of nature. 

He came back in, I attempted to dry him off but he was only interested in breakfast. I took some acetaminophen and grabbed my phone, headed to the guest room. 

When either of us wake up in the small hours, we have a tendency to go to the guest room. Rather than futz around with our phones and possibly wake the other up. Sometimes both of us are awake, but one gets up and takes the walk to the other room. Doug usually has a podcast on as we go to sleep and a timer that stops things after the episode. I don't mind if he turns it back on, even if I'm asleep but especially if I'm already awake. I'd like to listen to the next episode. But he still goes in the other room. 

The guest bed is an IKEA bed and mattress. The mattress is decidedly much better than the one we have on our bed. So I usually get my best sleep on that thing. Our mattress is 20 yrs old at this point, but the issue really is the boxspring. There are 2 twin boxsprings under the bed, because when we lived in the brown house, we couldn't get the box spring up the stairs - it was too big for our colonial house. 

The wood on the boxsprings is creaky so when you roll over it sounds horrible. I can roll over and wake him up. I get out of bed, and wake him up not from the bed moving, but the noise. 

The guest bed is quiet and lovely. The way a bed should be. 

Because there are two boxsprings under the mattress, there's kind of a ridge in the center. The mattress has gotten squished, but the center and its supporting wood frame are kind of up in the air. 

We're shopping for a new bed and having discussions. Doug would like a king sized bed, but we have a queen frame currently - it is part of a set. It looks good this way, with the bureaus and all. He's not married to the idea of maintaining the set just because it is a set. When Brodie was a puppy, she chewed on the footboard (I may have an entry on that....) so it's damaged. I keep my towel draped over the footboard, so we never see it. 

I'm concerned about getting a king sized bed if we have to move at some point. The queen bed barely fit in the bedroom of our last house. It fits wonderfully in the bedroom in this house - but what if we move again, and end up with a bedroom where basically the bed is the only thing that fits in there. It would suck. What, do we keep our bureaus and clothing all in the guest room and treat that as kind of a closet with a bed in it? 

Anyway, it is time for the new bed. We'll see what happens. There are a lot of products out there...

I think it is supposed to rain all weekend, which is okay. I could deal with some no-outside stuff, maybe if I can move better (the butt, it hurts) I can clean my room. Prepare for the possibility of a new bed in my future.

Exercise:

Blood Glucose

9:30am: 166
3pm: 131
9:30pm: 191 (again, seriously why so high?)

Food:

Coffee
Water
Seltzer
Leftover frittata (egg, cheddar, goat cheese, onion, parsley)
large spinach salad with tomatoes and caesar dressing, shaved beef, cheese, peppers (cheesesteak without the roll)


No comments:

Post a Comment