Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Day 2: so much pokemon and so much sorrow

Smol Boi and I talk a lot about Pokemon. 

Back when Geoff was Smol Boi, we talked a lot about pokemon. Twenty years later, it's nice to see that Smol Bois are talking about Pokemon. It brings me great joy

This morning on the way to school he was telling me all about how he beat the Nintendo Switch game "Let's Go Eevee." We talked about our favorite Eevee Evolutions (there are 8!) and he asked what Eevees I have in Pokemon Go. He told me that we can battle against each other with my phone and Pokemon Go, and his switch, but I find that somewhat doubtful. 

I told him I'd show him my pokedex after dinner.

I thought about driving him to school today, but opted for the walk. It's cold and dreary but I'll take that over the massive heat we've had recently. It wasn't pouring, and he said he was alright with the walk so we went. 

Tonight, I had kind of a work-related meltdown about a lot of things. A Lot Of Things. 18 (as of this writing) people are dead in Texas after some shit went to a fucking elementary school and murdered over a dozen children. I work in a media org in the digital realm and our coverage didn't work as planned. I got snarky messages from a few end users about it, no one could fix the problem. 

There is some other stuff going on with work that I don't even want to talk about. But I'm frustrated and angry, and I know tomorrow there will be anger (I've turned off my slack notifications, but, I'm on call and I swear if someone calls me tonight I may not be pleasant). 

Tonight, it was going to be about chilling with my buddies. I had gone to the grocery store and got stuff to make lasagna for them tomorrow, so the big brother can just come home and pop it in the oven at 5pm for them after they get back from Soccer. Tonight Smol Boi said he wished he was staying at my house with the dog.  Tonight was supposed to be about playing with that yellow balloon and just bopping it back and forth and laughing when it hit the ceiling fan. Tonight, I had plans to finish a powerpoint after Smol Boi went to bed. 

Tonight was supposed to be a lot of things, but not me being angry about work and mad at the "pro life" state of Texas. And guns. And Fucking Ted Fucking Cruz and his "fervent prayers" for the families of the victims while the NRA coats his filthy pockets with their lucre. 

But everything is broken and sad.

Here's a picture of a bedroom. I stood outside in the hallway and kind of cried.

Smol Boi is in there nestled in his bed. He has his pandora stream playing. Katy Perry is caterwauling about fireworks. 

He is home, safe and happy. He got up this morning, ate scrambled eggs that I made for him, picked out a pokemon t-shirt to wear and I told him it was great. He was so proud. And he'll get up tomorrow to do it again. And I'll be here to shepherd him.

While I quietly fought with all the broken digital technology tonight, and sent multiple messages back and forth for over two hours, and things were all in all a shit show, I still managed keep my demeanor. I smiled, and  batted the balloon, and then showed him how to check my pokedex on my phone and catch pokemon. 

It kept him busy while I furiously typed and quietly fumed and fought back the urge to just scream and throw my laptop on the floor.

He was enthralled with the fact they were here in his house (I have bad news my little dude ,,, so are some mice! But I'll deal with that tomorrow). 

He headed to bed and I asked him to brush his teeth (he did) and I said "I love you."

He answered, "I will!" 

And there are families in Texas tonight who won't have that. 

There are families in Sandy Hook who had that taken away years ago and nothing changed since then. There are children and grandchildren in Buffalo and in Southern California who lost their grownups. They lost their rudders for their little ships. 

This is a sad and broken country. 

Anyway - the digits.


Exercise: 

Mile walk to/from school

Blood Glucose:
9am: 196
12:30pm (1/2 hour before lunch) 188
11pm: 168 (basically fasting 6 hrs)

Food:

coffee
water
iced coffee
slice of turkey (on the run out the door) - 12:30pm
handful of mixed nuts - 12:30pm
bowl of yogurt & berries - 2:30pm
piece of steak, asparagus spears - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment