Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Day 3: Blueberry Pancakes

 Yesterday's entry was very sad and I'm still very sad. I have a check in with my boss and I'm basically letting him know how deeply unhappy I am right now, there's a lot happening, and I don't feel like our jobs are respected and understood. And he got snippy with me last night during the problems, because I used Slack (his indicator showed he was there) instead of texting him after hours because he doesn't read slack after hours. So I got a lecture about texting him and not using slack, but dude, it said you were on/available. Ugh.

Okay then, very sorry. I made a mistake in protocol. 

But nothing changes, a whole bunch of children are dead, and I'm sick of it all. What the hell is up with this country.

Anyway. I just can't even today.

I didn't mention yesterday that J's house has mice. Last night I got to see them. Walking around like nobody's business. Probably a few and not the same mouse a couple times. She has some super old school mousetraps, and I was terrified of trying to set them and have them snap on me. This morning, I got brave and set two. We'll see if I put them in attractive places. I warned the boys to watch their toes.

I've always loved the quote "it's a hard world for small things," from "Raising Arizona," but small things need to not be in the house with me. 

Smol Boi was up before his 7am alarm clock this morning.


I heard the Pokemon TV show music and smiled, and got out of bed to go down and talk breakfast. 

I brought a box of pancake mix with me to the house last night (to get it out of my house) and asked him if he wanted blueberry pancakes. I showed him the box and he got super excited. I cheffed things up, and added fresh blueberries to the mix. Because that's extra awesome.

He politely ate the pancakes and then told me he didn't like the blueberries. He didn't like them hot like that and cooked. 

Oh. You should have mentioned. 

"I like it like the box has it, with the little blueberries in bits." 

Noted. I offered to make more. I told him that I thought it tasted like a blueberry muffin or blueberry pie when it's like that, with the butter and syrup and all. He shook his head disappointedly. I gave him 3 more non-berried flapjacks and he devoured them.

At least he didn't cry. He sometimes cries when things are not just so. 

For dinner tonight, I decided I would make them a lasagna. They had a box of the pasta and jars of sauce, and I got the cheese and some more sauce. I decided to skip the ricotta because I figured he wouldn't like that. Heck I didn't like ricotta in pasta until college really. 

When I dropped him off at school, I told him about lasagna night and asked him if he liked meat in the sauce, and he said no. Ha. I knew it. 

So I opted to make meatballs for them instead. 

We didn't get our walk in to school today. I mentioned to Smol Boi that we were halfway through the week and seeing mom again on Saturday once we got through today. He stopped on the way down the stairs and said, "oh no. It's media day," and ran back to his room. 

Me: What is media day?
SB: It's when we read and get to do things in the media center.
Me: Oh, like the library? Is this library day?
SB: There is no library at my school, it's the media center.

Aaaah yes. They were in the process of changing some of these things back when my kids were in school. When I was in college, the library was expanded on and renamed the Learning Resource Center. Not just a library anymore. When Jess was in school, it was the library but by the time Geoff got there it had turned into something else, I don't recall but media center sounds like something it may have been called. 

Doug made an amazing cucumber salad and buffalo wings on the grill for us. Worth coming home for considering I can't eat any of the stuff I made for the boys! Well, I did have a couple meatballs because I didn't load them up with panko. Very light, just to hold them together... 

Looking forward to maybe having a mousetrap snap tonight. We'll see.

I've got to go clean up dinner. The boys destroyed the lasagna. Made me feel good.


Digits for the day

Exercise: 

Did not get to do a normal walk because of missing books but may do a loop around the neighborhood when I get back to Stranded Boys.

Blood Glucose

8am 168 (fasting since the night before)
5pm 183 (last food, 1:30pm)
9pm 171

Food:

Coffee
Water
Seltzer
handful blueberries (8:30am)
2 meatballs, homemade, no breadcrumbs, using parmesan cheese (noon) 
mixed unsalted nuts, 2 handfuls (noon)
small plate of rotisserie chicken slices (mostly breast meat) red pepper hummus, mixed together. 
chicken wings, buffalo style; creamy cucumber salad 
2 more meatballs



No comments:

Post a Comment