Saturday, May 07, 2022

Trainwreck Omelet

Most mornings I don't really have a breakfast. With working from home, my morning routine is basically: wake up; commute to bathroom and then kitchen; get coffee; commute to couch; email, team check-in on slack; peep the helpdesk ticketing queue; take a shower; more coffee. 

I eat an actual meal around 11-12. A snack/ish around 2-3. Depending on meetings. I hate to eat on camera, and hate to have a snack sitting next to me looking at me, taunting me for an hour. 

Weekends are easy and lazy. Today the dog woke up at 6 to go out, I took care of him, fed and watered him, started the dishwasher that I forgot to start before I went to bed. Went back to bed. I re-woke up at 9. Doug was already up and coffee was made. I joined him, goofed off on the phone while he goofed off on his phone on the other couch. It got to be 11. I decided to make actual Breakfast.

I don't really care for eggs much. Sometimes they give me the runs, or a stomach ache. I think as a child I was allergic to them in some ways, either that or my aunt Esther force fed me and I grew to utterly despise them and developed a psychological allergy to them. My cousin Deb says her mother never force fed me food. I ... well. Let's just say she wasn't there. 

Eggs. Well, they're hugely important in a low carb diet. They are full of all the important stuff, like protein. And junk. And they aren't bagels or English muffins. God what I wouldn't give for a huge beautiful brekkie sammitch on an English muffin about now. 

I'm usually really good at omelets. Even though I don't necessarily like eating them, I enjoy making them for others. But this morning, for me, I wanted to make the best omelet ever. 

I'm a huge fan of spinach. Grabbing a handful out of the container, I rough chopped a bunch and threw it in the skillet with some butter, salt and pepper. Noticing there was a 1/4 yellow onion in a ziploc bag, I diced that up, threw it in too. Bacon had just finished cooking and was cooling on a plate (Pro tip learned when I worked for Cateringman: fill a large sheet pan with aboutdozen slices, cook at 350 for about 20 minutes). 

I chopped up my bacon, and threw it in the skillet. Then, I sprinkled in crumbled goat cheese. 

Right then and there I am super happy. I could even have just put that on a plate and eaten it as is, but the goal was an omelet for the protein and whatnot. 

I whipped two eggs in a little bowl, mixed in salt & pepper, and dumped them onto the rest of the ingredients. 

Now, I mentioned that I love making omelets, and I am usually good at it. but I stood there realizing I had over filled the skillet with all the yummy things I had put in there. 

Hmm. 

I went to flip over one side of the concoction, and it kind of fell apart. Oops. I think what I have here now is a messy scramble. A beautiful mess. A trainwreck. I made sure the eggs were cooked through, flipping things over a couple times, and while it wasn't pretty, it tasted amazing. The goat cheese with the bacon grease melted together. The spinach, wilted perfectly and a touch of salt on each bite. The onions, still slightly crunchy but buttery enough that they started to release their sweet side.

Doug will often just make himself a couple eggs with cheddar and hot sauce, so he came in the kitchen and saw my veggie filled goat cheese party and was impressed. I said you could do this too, if you wanted. He said "no, that takes work, and I just want to eat so. I'll pass on the chopping, sauteing and all that other stuff." 

For me, lazy cooking leads to me getting absolutely bored with things which is why diets and me don't mix. Doug is usually a great cook - when he plans for it. He can make dry rubs, marinades, butterfly lamb, roasts! Grilling! But day to day cooking for him is eggs in a skillet, yogurt in a dish, berries,  some chicken breasts just thrown on a tray in the oven with bacon wrapped around them and maybe some spices and stuff, but, like, no. The bacon doesn't cook, and it is nasty. I'm thankful when he cooks cause I don't have to but over all, whatever. 


I like to plan what I'm making, have ingredients around that encourage me to shake it up a little. This keeps me from falling into repetitive ruts. 

The picture here is of my trainwreck omelet, and my dog who would like my trainwreck omelet but he cannot have any. It has onion in it. That's not good for dogs. 

Also, notice the "wrestling singlet" recovery shirt Doug got for him. He was doing great with the donut but Doug thought he's sleep more comfortably with the shirt on. Once he got used to it, and stopped freaking out and trying to rub it off his body, it's working out nicely. 

We have to undo the back and tuck everything in when he goes out to relieve himself, and he's gotten used to us "undressing" his back end and redressing it. 

It also has a "calming" disc which is scented with verbena and lavender. I couldn't believe that Doug actually put the disc into the pocket on the vest because of his rabid dislike of lavender, but, he did. My house now smells like aromatherapy. 

He just came in from out, and is asleep on the couch. We didn't button him all the way back up, we're just letting him be open and free, but keeping an eye on him if he should try and access his belly.


Right then, the update for the lifestyle changes part of my blog is below. 
oh - and I meant to include my weight from the doctor when I was there last. 
216

Blood Glucose:

9am: 168 

6pm: 159

Food:

Coffee
handful of mixed nuts
Trainwreck Omelet
4 very thin pork chops grilled and coleslaw with homemade slaw dressing
seltzer
more nuts

 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment