Friday, June 17, 2022

A do nothing day

(Entry should have pubbed Thursday but I went to bed before finishing) 

Here is a picture of Phin the magnificent travel companion. 

Didn't get an entry on Wednesday because of the travel. 

I mentioned in Tuesday's entry that after the campfire I couldn't sleep. It is like that for me sometimes before travel.

Doug had put on some laundry and went to bed saying he'd get up early and put it in the dryer. I told him not to worry about it, since I was pretty wide awake and I'd get it in there.   

And then I remembered I was supposed to do something for 4 stations in North Carolina. It was 11:30pm. I was feeling like my brain was zooming off in so many directions, and found that I could not even remember how to do the thing at all. I slacked my colleague, asked him to take care of it. He slacked me at 6am and said he did. What's great about it is I had emailed the folks who needed the thing done and told them I'd have it done before I left for vacation (at around 7pm). Thankfully,  I have such good coworkers and colleagues that asking them for help when my garbage brain is a mess pays off. Whew.

 Doug's laundry was ready for the dryer around midnight, so I loaded that up, and hit the hay. I tried to sleep but was hot and sticky from the campfire and my brain was still zooming. Normally, I like smelling like summer campfires as I fall off asleep, but it was annoying me so much. I also realized that if I wanted to shower, I'd have to get up early to shower. So either way, I'd be losing sleep.

Screw it. I opted to shower at 1am. I felt instantly more calm, relaxed, and went to bed listening to Lore. I think I got 10 minutes into the episode when I fell asleep. Note to self.... showers are nice when you are not able to sleep. You actually know this fact. Just apply it once in a while.

I woke up at 5:00 and needed to pee. Since I had been in the guestroom, I quietly passed my bedroom hoping not to wake up the dog. Failure. He heard me, came out, and wanted to go out too. Can't deny a beast who wants a pee. Totally not fair. 

I let him out, started a pot of coffee so it would be ready when Geoff got up (he had an alarm set for 6). I fed the dog, he snarfed his breakfast down and got back in bed immediately. I went back to the guest room to hope to grab another couple zzzzs. 

And could not fall back asleep. Fitbit said I had 3.87 hours of sleep which sounds pretty accurate. We hit the road very early for us. We're usually planning on being out the door by 8 and maybe we're lucky for 9. We were mobile at 8. 

The GPS said that we'd be here at 4:10 and I laughed. If all the cars in between here and there were suddenly blown up, maybe. I factored in at least an hour for food/breaks/rest/gas. 

I put money on 6pm. We got here a little bit before 7. C had the grill pre-heated and drinks in the fridge. Bless bless bless. This is the welcoming committee.Oh hello.

Because I had less than 4 hours of sleep, and she'd flown a red eye that morning, both of us were convinced we'd be asleep by 8:30pm. But we pushed through, had our second wind, and made it to 10:30. 

Phineas settled in nicely. C has 2 dogs but they were back with M at the primary residence, jealous of not being here I'm sure. But Phin is just so bad with other dogs, I don't want to chance him getting super bitey and fighty. 

We slept well.

Phin woke up to pee at 2am, and I tried to just get him to go back to sleep but he wasn't having it. He was scared to jump off the bed, so I had to turn the light on for him. He was scared to walk down the stairs, so I went and got my phone to get a flashlight guide. 

I found a leash, because I for sure didn't trust him just going out, peeing, and coming back. He was amped up, smelling everything and just wanting to be out there. I just wanted to get back in bed. Eventually he did his thing, we came back in, he drank a whole bowl of water, and we went back to bed. 5:30, his usual witching hour, back outside. This time it is light enough he can really see. I didn't leash him and we walked all over the perimeter of the house, sniffing all the things, and being very interested in sounds and sights. We got back to the door and he went straight to it. I fed him, but he wasn't interested. I got him up the stairs again (keeping in mind, we do not have stairs in our house so this is just wild to him, I bet!) He jumped back in bed next to Doug and we went back to sleep. 

Doug got up 45 minutes later and he and Phin left. I slept until 10. Just straight out, non moving, no restlessness, sleep. 

Made up for Tuesday in a big way. C has a nice Keurig with a milk frother so I went nuts making foamy delicious milky goodness for my brew. Look at how pretty. 


Like a freakin' postcard or something. 

C went to work, and Doug and Geoff had already had coffee. Geoff took himself on a walk that he estimates was a mile and a half at least, he found the Lamprey River, followed some trail markers and got back without fuss. He also took Phin for a walk too.  

Geoff is sometimes very restless, and without going to the gym for an outlet, he is a fidgeter. He walked around the house a lot last night, and in fact, he made me think that he and Phin are related. The two of them were just in investigation mode a lot last night. And today in the daylight I'm glad he took note of the trails and took himself on a walk. 

Our goal today was to go to a nearby brewery for lunch, but they don't open until 3 on Thursdays. We have to be somewhere at 6pm tonight, so the idea of waiting until 3 to go, and showing up maybe late (it's an hour away) made us both call off the brewery plan. Doug found a BBQ place online and went to grab take out. It was pretty good, everything but the half chicken, which was dry and depressing. It'll probably make a nice chicken salad, is my guess. 

Today just feels good so far, doing absolutely nothing. I checked my email for work, and some guy had emailed me three times directly but I think he reached out before my auto response was activated, and was getting progressively grumpier with my lack of reply. So I'm glad I looked. I helped him and hooked him up with the team for further assistance should he need. 

Jess is coming to watch Phineas for us tonight while we're at the thing. C is taking her uncle out for dinner. So everyone is covered for happenings. 

Tomorrow, we'll venture out to the brewery for lunch, and there's an antique shop I want to visit that moved near here from Massachusetts. We're going to go stay at a hotel tomorrow night down closer to Jess, not sure what our plan is for the evening. Then drive down to see my parents and stay that way on Saturday night. Home on Sunday. 

Until then, I've run the washer (it didn't spin from the load earlier so I've rerun it), I showered, I got the dishwasher unloaded, and started the reload, I'm just waiting for Jess to arrive for some time with them. 

Doug and Phin are napping on the porch, it is all very quiet right now. And it feel really good.

It's a good day. 

Alright. Digits are below the pictures. 



Camp Couch Life, naptime, porch happiness. Yay! 



Digits

Wednesday

Exercise:

no exercise due to being in the car

I have my Blood Glucose levels but they were all in the 150 range from AM to PM. Nice

Food:
Coffee
Water
Patty Melt on marble rye
some french fries
diet coke
3 steak tips
Amazing layer salad
Water

Thursday

Exercise: some walking around the camp and stuff

Blood Glucose

10am: 174
5pm: 160
11pm: 191

Food:

Coffee
Water
BBQ, pulled pork, a rib, some chicken, cole slaw w/ apples, piece of cornbread
cheeseburger no bun, hot dog no bun, salad, oreo cookie, diet coke
glass of wine 

No comments:

Post a Comment