Friday, June 10, 2022

Guster in Richmond Virginia

 Last night, I went to see Guster in Richmond, VA with my friends Sara and Sean, their son Henry, and our friend Deb. It was an outdoor show, and I'm always wary of outdoor shows anymore, because weather. We got washed out, rained out, drowned out in Central Park in NY in 2019. 

Weather for this show was perfect though. It was hot all day but by 6pm the cool down started.

Guster and The Wood Brothers are doing a split bill tour and flipping back and forth for who would be going first. 

Guster was on after the opener, David Wax Museum, and they were outstanding. Loved them. As usual. Debs staked us a first row claim as she beat us to the park, and that was amazing. Got some good photos which will be down below. We got some beer, some merch, some snacks and chilled waiting for the show to start. 

 This was Henry's first full (almost) Guster concert, and he had an absolute blast. There were other kids there, and lots of good vibes and dancing.  After Guster finished, we wanted to see some of the Wood Brothers' performance. Henry was getting bored so Sara took him for a walk while Sean, Deb, and I watched the first couple songs. The lead singer noted that the VIP area was rather empty and encouraged the crowd forward. We got out of there with our lives (barely). 

After escaping the outlaw country stage rush, we gathered ourselves under a tree to the left side of the stage in sight of the buses. Guster's drummer Brian had promised us some after show access because I'd emailed him to ask if Henry could meet the band. There was no real after show area,  But he came out to meet us and chat with Henry. 

I asked Henry this morning if he liked meeting Brian and he said yes, but I shouldn't call him Brian. He's the Thundergod. Never call him Brian. 

It cracked me up a lot.

This is not the best picture, but, we can laugh. Sara wanted a perfect moment picture of her son and his hero. This is the shot. There was no good lighting so I turned the flashlight on my phone to shed something on the moment. Henry looked at me like I was taking a photo instead of at his mom with the camera. That's alright though, this is a good memory! Security wanted us to break it up and move out of the park, so we grabbed this quick snap. 

I have to say, when the show was over and we were waiting for Brian (excuse me, Thundergod) to come over, security was trying to get us to go. But I could see him walking towards us. I said we would be leaving in a minute, once we got a second with this guy. 

They hassled more once he got to us. He said "these are my friends," gesturing to us "we just want to say hi."

I think we had less than 5 minutes, but it worked. We got to say hi, and Henry met his big hero. We all left with smiles on our faces. Someday we'll try for more band members for him to meet but all told, this was a magical night. 

While we were waiting out the Wood Brothers (seriously, I'd love to see them again for sure) Henry was obsessing a little about the moon. I took my phone out and pulled up Google Sky Map so we could look at stars and constellations. We talked about the Zenith and polaris and the dippers. I had Henry put my phone on the blanket to blow his mind. You can see the stars of the southern hemisphere that way. the Nadir and the Southern Cross. He had a blast looking at the stars and identifying things. We couldn't see much because of light pollution and I explained there are places you can go where seeing the stars will blow his mind. 

I kind of love Henry because he makes me think of Geoff, and the energy Geoff had in regards to learning. I wish sometimes I'd done a better job with Geoff but ... he is who he is because of where we were when we were. 

We left the show and Henry later said to Sara that he got to talk to a rock star, not in his imagination, not on a zoom call, but in person

And that was my goal for him this show. 

This morning, we ended up going out to lunch in the Scott's Addition neighborhood to Lunch Or Supper, which was delightful and enjoyable. On the West side of town, away from where my cousin lives. I tried to connect with my cousin, but it didn't work out. That's okay. There will be another time.  I recognized the neighborhood where we were as local to a brewery we liked. I thought about us stopping by and grabbing some Ardent to go, but Doug said that he was going to be trying to get back to the low/er carb lifestyle. So I didn't ask if we could stop by. I regret that now.

We'll be going to Maine together in August. and I'm looking forward to more time with him, and thinking of things we can all do. 

Anyway, here are some pictures! And the daily digits below.







Digits!!!

Exercise: mostly in the car traveling home today

Blood Glucose
9am: 223
5pm: 192
10pm: 262 

Food
water
soft taco leftover from last night's taco bell order
Lunch at LunchorDinner
fried green tomatoes with a pimento cheese sauce
crab dip and homemade crackers
big spinach salad with shrimp and goat cheese
3 strips of fried fish & 4 hush puppies from Captain D's (brought home and heated)

vodka tonic(s)
lots and lots of pretzel chips (i'm a bad girl. yes.)





No comments:

Post a Comment