Monday, June 20, 2022

Of Mice And Plants

It was a relief to come home, and discover the half gallon of milk purchased before we left is still good.

It's always a huge fear of mine to wake up in the morning after travel, tired and needing a cuppa, and find that things are not okay with what was left in the fridge. We planned well when we shopped and five days away is not quite long enough for a foodpocalypse to happen in our absence.

I was gearing up to make some lunch, cook some bacon and make a salad but felt totally unmotivated. I  noted an open of a container of greek yogurt, and the bag of blueberries I took on the trip with us in the wee cooler for snack so opted for a nice bowl (and made room in the fridge). I'm still feeling road hangover from yesterday. I got plenty of sleep on Saturday night but couldn't stay awake in the car, falling asleep repeatedly over the 9 hours. 

Looking at Google Maps, even with going up and around the city it should only take us about 7.5 hours to get to my parents. 9 wasn't too bad yesterday. I just wish it wasn't so far. This drains me. Am I old? I used to do Boston to Beaver Valley Pennsylvania standing on my head and that was 12 hours with tons of road construction. I used to laugh at Doug's parents when they'd come visit or go home for stopping in Matamoras, PA and breaking the trip in half. Now I'm pretty sure it's the best idea. 

Luckily, this time of year (hello Solstice!) is the longest light, so even leaving later than intended you may still get home in the light. And we did. We had enough time to walk around the yard, assess the plants, note the invasion of the morning glories (oh boy) and still have light to do that with. Very nice.

This morning I slept in to 9. Doug was already at work downstairs and is in meetings and (I think) a training but it sounds very dramatic so I don't want to go downstairs and check on the happenings. I started unpacking and getting re-organized up here. I noted that there was mouse poop on our couch and on our side table. Mother fuckers. I found a little between the stove and the pantry. Doug had thought he heard a mouse nibbling in the wall recently, and so we'll be going on full offensive. 

I guess they came in here because there was no dog food to steal from the dog dish. Harumph. How dare you. 

We've lived in houses with lots of mice. I remember when we moved out of the brown house, Linda opened a closet to find a mountain of dog food and mouse poop, and a clear mouse superhighway from the closet to points everywhere. We will be shoring up things and taking care before this turns into an all out infestation. Doug is very cautious with anything that could be poison lest the dog discover it or discover a sick mouse and try to chomp it. 

It's a hard world for small things, as H.I. McDonough says in "Raising Arizona," but I'll be honest .... you get my mercy as long as you stay out of my house. 

Before we left, I watered the plants but a few of them are looking super drab. My carnivorous plants are just about dead. I should give up on them. There have not been any ants to feed them lately, and I'm reluctant to put them outside since birds already wrecked them. 

Hmmm. 


Exercise: 

Blood Glucose: 

9:30am: 163
5pm: 163
10pm: 239

Food: 

Coffee
Water
about 3/4 cup of almonds
bowl of yogurt with blueberries and splenda
grilled chicken thighs, sour cream, salsa, avocado, salad
wine & fresca

No comments:

Post a Comment