Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Dreaming of a past ghost

I had a breakfast date with my friend Dave at 8am, and had an alarm set for 7 so I could shower, be ready to go, and hopefully not wake up Linda and Ginger. 

Ginger's alarm went off like every other Monday in her life at 6am, for getting her son to school. I thought about just being awake, but said ya know... you can get another hour of sleep if you can fall back asleep in a few minutes. 

Success. Sleep came well. But so did the weird dream. 

I was boarding a riverboat with Doug and a ton of other people, we were dressed in Victorian period clothing. And it turns out it was our college, only on a riverboat. I was handed documentation saying I needed to retake freshman English and had to take a second class as well. I decided to take Russian Literature. Doug went over to some other location and I was sent to the freshman English professor - one from my college days that I had a very unhappy relationship with. I would say he is my "bully" but he of course thought his "bullying" is encouragement. Not me. All the other English majors adored him, but he and I just never connected, ever. He passed away a few years ago, but in this dream he is as real as ever.

He rips over my paperwork and says my first and last name out loud but looks at me, and realizes and says my maiden name. He points out loudly that I already graduated and demands to know why am I there! "I saw you at commencement! Why are you here! What are you doing! Why are you here!" 

I tell him I got a letter telling me to come, that I didn't take this class and my degree is invalid until I remediate this issue and take the class. I'm only following the rules.

His behaviour was blustery and impossible. Borderline violent. He was screaming, yelling, spitting, and I was very confused. Why is he berating me? I haven't done anything wrong. Nothing of this is my doing. I. Did. Nothing. Wrong. 

So I yell back at him, standing up for myself, saying "What is wrong with you? Don't you have anything else better to do than yell at students who are just trying to get through the program?!" 

He was astonished at my pushing back, and I woke up with a start. A literal gasp of astonishment. 

My heart was racing, I looked at my phone. It was 7:39. I was supposed to be up quite a bit ago, and my crazy assed dream woke me up, just in time to run out the door. Just in time. 

From my past, Dr. Stine still haunts me and, well, he made me on time for breakfast. I guess I can thank him for that.

My friend Dave laughed so hard at this story when I told him, so I appreciated him loving it. 

We had a wonderful catch-up, and could have kept talking for hours more but he had to get home for an appointment. I walked back to the hotel, the girls were up and getting ready. It was time to hit the road. 

I drove them through Portsmouth again, and by Prescott Park, and Strawbery Banke. We drove over to Pierce Island, and I thought that was the way that I wanted to go, but I was wrong. We reversed direction, got on 1B and headed south to New Castle and Great Island. The sky was amazing, the colors and the clouds were gorgeous. We kept just pulling over to look at how pretty things were. We pulled over repeatedly, and took some pictures and loved the absolute stillness of the ocean today. And we saw seals. Even cooler. 

1B connects to 1A, and we drove the coastal jaunt down into Newburyport Massachusetts. All of my favorite former stomping grounds. I had an idea for lunch, and drove over to Plum Island to find the Plum Island Grille closed. Had no idea. Huh. 

So we drove around PI and headed back to town. Linda doesn't eat seafood and I wanted her to have something more substantial than a hot dog, but I wanted fried scallops. My favorite place for that is so we Park Lunch. We were sitting at a stoplight when I noticed the new location of the Black Cow right by the road instead of down on the water with a deck, but, the top deck had tables open. I pulled into the lot and we had lunch there. I didn't realize the Tuscan Grille was where the Cow used to be, and it would have been stellar to eat on the river, but, this was just as good and lunch was delicious. 

Ginger was starting to get anxious, her flight was at 6:15 and she always likes to get to the airport with 2 hours to spare and relax. 

She got a text saying the flight was delayed so we walked down to the water. I suggested a selfie, and honestly my head is not this big compared to Linda and Ginger, it is just the way Linda was holding the camera. This picture sums up how stupid dumb funny of a time we were having. 


It would be nice if we could take one good picture. But no seriously, we were laughing our asses off, and if nothing else, this shows exactly how happy this moment is. 

Back in the car, and down the highway. Flying like the wind because we've been goofing off like silly gooses, and the traffic was getting worse on the way to Logan. We got Ginger to the departures, easy peasy drop off with big hugs and tears.  Her flight took off on time, and Linda and I were over at Long Wharf in Boston watching flights take off, not able to quite tell which one was hers, but we knew she was well on her way. 

Unfortunately, upon arrival in Atlanta they sat on the plane for an hour, couldn't get to a gate, and everyone missed their connections. Ginger is now stuck in Atlanta, she doesn't want me to get her a hotel room, because no one knows where the luggage is, and she just wants a toothbrush and will sit at the airport in the terminal until her new flight leaves, at 8:30am tomorrow. 

As of this hour, trying to convince her otherwise. But. She's her own adult. I honor what she wants to do. 

Meanwhile, after watching planes take off, Linda and I walked around to the Aquarium. I wanted to see the Sea Lion tank, but it is empty, looks under construction. I was sad. We crossed to the Greenway and took pictures and watched the water fountain and small children intermingling and having fun. We walked up to the carousel and decided it was worth 4 bucks each to take a ride. 

When the carousel stopped, the guy said we could stay on. 

And again. 

We were having a laugh riot, kids were cheering, parents were standing on the rail, laughing as the kids went again and again. 


We would have ridden a fourth time but we had other plans. We were hoping to connect with our friend V so I could give him a gift that we didn't arrange a hand off of in Maine. He found us and we sat at Ned Devine's having snacks and cocktails and chatting about how much fun we had in Maine. Most of the bars were closing at 9, so we came over to the hotel where we knew the restaurant was open until 11. We chatted and laughed, really had a good visit. Something we didn't really have time for during all the Guster shenanigans. 

It's after midnight now. I am hoping the best for Ginger getting home. Fingers crossed. Here's Boston for ya as we head to bed.

digits

exercise: Dedicated 10,+50 with 2 walks in Portsmouth to and from breakfast. Walk in Newburyport. Walk all over Boston. Well not all over, but about 5 miles total for the day and an hour of walks.

Blood Glucose

8am: 205
5pm: 209
11pm: 203

Food:
Coffee
Water
8:30am Breakfast burrito (eggs, some hash browns that I flecked out most of), with cheese, sour cream, flour tortilla (ate 1/2 of it)
2pm Big Salad at lunch with baby greens, goat cheese, tomato, steak tips
5pm handful of ronnie's trail mix, mimosa 
metformin
8:30pm, french onion soup, corn dip, pretzel, 2 hard seltzers
jardience at 11pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment