Sunday, August 21, 2022

Notes from Vacation

 As you know, I'd been living for this vacation for quite a while. It wasn't everything I'd dreamed it would be, but it was close. And that's pretty sweet. 

The trip up to Maine with my friends from DC was really good. Their 7 yr old loves me. We get along pretty great. There was a lot of laughter and I'm glad I took notes on some of the funny stuff we said and did along the way because we always forget what jokes we made, and then we need them later. 

Arriving in Maine and connecting with Linda, Ginger, and Kacey was great. We stayed at one hotel and Team Sara and Sean stayed at another. We should have stayed at that hotel. They had a pool. Ours was busted and empty. Strong letter to Marriott to follow. We were geared up to get in the pool Friday morning with floppy hats and happiness. Not so much. 

The concerts were amazing. We sat pretty far back for both shows, and I don't regret it. We had Henry with us, and I was worried he'd not be able to see if he was down close and people were standing up in front of him. We had a pretty sweet spot Friday night with a great view and a shelf to rest our drinks on, so it was perfect. Saturday was a little bit of a challenge in our getting together and getting to the show but it all worked out in the end, and we had a great time. 

Kacey headed home Sunday morning and Ginger, Linda, and I didn't do the Sunday event at the summer camp with the band, but Sara and Sean did - and Henry had a blast.  All the pictures of people having all the fun gave me a little heartache, but we I opted out of that event so people with kids could have fun and we could have fun heading down the coast. It was nice, just the three of us, looking at the ocean and me showing off places to my friends. Portsmouth was lovely. And I miss my people in that area a lot.

Monday was super nice to be goofy in Boston. Linda and I had so much fun just walking around the Greenway and Quincy Market, and the Aquarium area. We didn't need much more. Aside from the hotel being hella expensive and no more "worth" the price for anything than say the Sheraton in Portsmouth, it was a good time and I loved being there. 

Tuesday through Thursday, seeing our parents and getting to spend good time with them was a real blessing after knowing what Ronnie and his family were going through. 

The ease of extending our accidental oversight on the room Thursday, and canceling our nights at the beach were a relief, this being August in New England and all that jazz. 

Being able to be with Ronnie and his mom, his siblings, and the whole family and friends scene was also very good. I didn't count on that. I didn't plan for that, and seeing the beach pivot as a blessing was super lovely. The ease of booking my flight home, the hotel, and the chance to see some cousins of ours was also great. I didn't count on that either as something I'd get to look forward to.

Last night, after a solid nap and a long chat with my sister, I had time to myself for the first time in the whole vacation, and really, the first time in months. I slept until I wanted to wake up, with no responsibility or need to get up. My sister and Ronnie were at their place doing fine with the dogs, reunited after all the time and the crazy amount of time they had to be alone while the funeral things were happening. It was very nice to just get organized, and listen to music, and be alone for a bit. 

There was a lot of heavy duty peopleing since last Wednesday when we left. It was refreshing to be the only people.

Today Linda and Ronnie came to the hotel and I checked me out. We met our cousin Joey for lunch at the Harbor Crab in Patchogue, right on the river that goes down to Patchogue Bay. I'd never been to this area, and Linda always forgets this is here, but we were so happy to have our outing together. 

On the dock, boats all around, no one there yet cause we got there early, we were the kings and queens of everything. It was so nice to just laugh and tell stories and talk about life.  

I also need to do a better job packing. I stupidly only brought 3 shirts. Not sure how I blew that, but I thought I had a short sleeved grey shirt that I pulled out of the laundry - and it was long sleeved. Too hot for that. I also had another long sleeved t-shirt, which was in my backpack with a sweatshirt. Oh, and I packed a sweatshirt in the suitcase too. So basically I lived in 2 guster shirts and this Sawbelly Brewing shirt for days. 

Luckily, I wear deodorant, and didn't get too much shit on my shirts. 

I bought 2 blouses and a pair of pants for the wake and funeral, so now I have those, which is pretty nice. But next time, pack as many shirts as underpants. Make a note of it. One for one. And make sure they are shirts you want to wear, not like long sleeve shirts when it is 90 degrees out. 

I'll be very happy to do laundry tomorrow. Not starting it tonight. 

Here we are at lunch. A must revisit spot. Can't wait to go back. And I miss these jerks already. I should flip this picture because it's a selfie on Lin's camera but I am feeling too lazy.

digits

exercise: travel day but managed to eek out Dedicated 10+6 walking around in the Islip Airport. Tacked an additional 10 in the BWI airport walking from the gate to the luggage. And then a short walk in Ellicott City after Doug and I had dinner. Didn't measure the time, that was a meander.

blood glucose:
9am: 178
9:45pm: 237

food:
9:45am Coffee, Protein Shake 
Lunch 11am: tuna sashimi, avocado; mimosa. Steak salad. 2 vodka+sodas; lots of water
Metformin 11:45am
3pm: 2 beers
6pm: Dinner at Manor Brewing, buffalo wings, giant southwest salad, one beer; lots of water
Metformin+Jardiance 8pm

No comments:

Post a Comment