Wednesday, August 17, 2022

I'll take "things I didn't expect to hear for $1000," Alex

Note: yesterday's entry is updated to reflect that yes i did do my exercise that i said i was not going to do. 

Linda got up this morning to go down and have a cigarette, and grab 2 coffees for us for the room. I heard her leave, it was about 9:00 and I rolled over to snoozicle a little longer. I woke up, looked at the clock and it was 9:45 already. She usually just checks in with Ronnie for the morning chat and dog check-in, and is back up in a few minutes. 

So it was a little surprising she was gone so long. She came up with the coffees, went in the bathroom, came back and sat down.  She told me that Ronnie's dad had passed away last night. 

Oh. 

Unexpected news there, eh? 

So alright. 

First thing first, I'm going to the bathroom, and then second thing, giving you a big hug, and thirds, oh my gosh what happened? 

He had a heart attack while doing the dishes. Gone, just like that.

He was 83 years old. In really good health overall, so this was not the parent we thought would go. Just like we didn't anticipate Gary would be the one to go either in 2017. 

So as a family, they are  trying to decide what happens next. Linda has been down out front a bunch of times, talking to Ronnie's sister, Ronnie's mom. There's nothing for her to do yet, so Ronnie said to stay here - spend time with our parents. Spend that time. Keep this time. 

I canceled our 2 night stay at a kind of dumpy little hotel on the beach in Plymouth, but it is one we've stayed at before, and it is literally right on the sand of the beach. You walk out the door, across the patio, and into the Bay. Linda really wanted this part of the trip. Day drinking and walking into the water. That was the goal. Not to be. I asked Doug if he wanted to drive up here on Friday and hang out with me for the weekend and he said it was not a good time for him to do that with work and all, it being a 10 hour drive and a Friday in the Summer. I asked Jess but they are house and dog sitting so no. No Jess. Although they really loved the idea. We all like this dumpy ass hotel and the location. 

I promised Linda we'd get our beach vacation for sure.

We decided I'll ride to Long Island with her on Friday. The wake is 5pm - 9pm on Friday so we'll be home in time for that. The funeral is Saturday. I'm staying at a hotel both Friday and Saturday nights and my flight home is Sunday around 4pm and Doug will pick me up in Baltimore at 5:30.

A new and interesting wrinkle in our vacation. 

Today, we went out to late lunch with my parents, and then my sister said we should spring dad and take him for a drive. We went down to the canal and had a short walk. It was a gorgeous day, and Linda tried like hell to get a selfie of us together. Her best shot is below. I thought we could visit the tasting room for the Buzzards Bay Brewing Company but that location is closed, sadly. My dad likes another bar in town, which my mom doesn't want him to hang out in because the barmaids are sexy. Ha. Hey ... if you ain't lookin' yer dead, as they say. 

So we took him there. It's a nice bar, really nice. We had a great time feeding the internet jukebox with Guster, Frank Turner, Rush, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Social Distortion, Flogging Molly, and it was a great time. 

Getting this fun with my dad was nice. I think the plan tomorrow is a day with my mom. We're going to take her to see her sister, spend a day. Fun. We'll see how that goes. 

Tonight we got in the pool and met a girl from Indiana here for a conference. We had a lot of fun for an hour talking. I did a lot of aqua aerobics, my knees are feeling it right now! Woo!  

digits

exercise: Pool. Did about 45 min of fake aquarobics, whew! short walk on Cape Cod Canal but all the action was in the pool tonight.  

blood glucose
10am: 158
xpm - no reading
10pm: 183

Food:
breakfast, 10:30am, yogurt, coffee, protein shake (3 net carbs on yogurt, 2 on the protein shake)
1pm: metformin
1pm: snack, cheese on triscuits (6) and ... a mimosa
2pm: Scallops, double coleslaw, water
2 vodka & sodas (approx 3pm and 4pm)
6pm: metformin
6pm: snack/dinner-ish. Triscuits, hummus, cheese, trail mix; mimosa

Water and lots of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment