Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Hot and hotness

Oh. It is hot. Sweet mother of mercy. Is it hot.

Yesterday at dinner with our friend he said he could never live here. He said that the heat here just feels different. It is the same temperature in DC as his house, but, it just is brutally different. He is absolutely right. We said after almost five years we agree fully. 

It is super hot out today, and tomorrow should be dangerously hot. Same with New England. Same with so many places. Geoff wanted to walk the dog this evening and we told him not to take him for a walk, it is just too brutally hot. Even this evening, too hot for dogs. Having a yard that is fenced in is goodly enough for him to go out and get some walking around but ... no real dog walking out there is allowed. 

I met with my manager today for our weekly check-in, and reminded him that I was on vacation starting a week from tomorrow. He seemed surprised. Apparently I didn't add it to the Team Calendar on accident, so he totally forgot. I found the emails that show our discussion about me going away... and his approval of the dates. We updated the team schedule. I probably would have died if he told me I couldn't go, that someone else had claimed the time off from our mini-manager team. 

Kind of living for vacation right now. Cannot wait for us to be in Maine. Fingers crossed for the world's greatest weather. Say a little prayer for me!

Doug found out today he's going to a conference in Vegas in September. I was supposed to go to a conference in LA at the same time, but the approval process has been dragging on for weeks as I watch hotel rooms at the host hotel disappear, and flight costs rise.  Now Doug's going somewhere, and his office booked the travel and everything for him... and it is at the same time as the conference I was heading to. I'm not interested in going anymore.

Besides, someone needs to stay here with the dog. Geoff is going to be doing his clinical placement in about 2 weeks, while I'm in Maine I think. If Doug's away, and I'm away, and Geoff is at clinical, Phin is alone and he only does well for a couple hours in the kennel. I'll want to be here with Phin whilst Geoff is at work. Maybe I'll fly out Friday night or something, and hang with Doug at the hotel and we'll extend the stay through the weekend.

I talked to my cousin in Richmond tonight, and got his whole download. Literally exhausting. Absolutely EXHAUSTING. I can't even with that guy sometimes. Then I called my sister to unload on the fact I talked to my cousin. Hilarious.

Then I talked to my sister to cleanse my relations-conversations palate. I was going to call my mother, but didn't get to it and it was too late to call. I'll make a point to call her tomorrow. 

Doug started watching a movie and I wasn't connected and engaged. So I futzed with some helpdesk tickets and Guster Group discussions, and took myself for a walk. I haven't been for a right proper neighborhood walk in a while. It was just under a mile, at a good pace. About 24 minutes total. I mapped it out on Google Maps so I know what it is. I wanted to go on a full mile loop but it goes through the woods by the elementary school. Doug went earlier and he said the biting bugs were vicious. He's over on the couch rubbing cortizone 10 all over his legs. So I figured I'd avoid that for bugs and darkness. I could have extended it down the block and back to get a full half hour but hey. Better than nothing!

Oh I just realized I'm an idiot that set up a meeting at 8:30am tomorrow with a colleague who lives in Europe. So I have to be up, awake, alert, alive when I'm still kind of flopping round the living room, contemplating a shower and playing Candy Crush or something. 

Here is a picture of the 8 ft tall sunflowers in my garden. They are doing pretty great. My tomatoes got burned by the heat but still seem to be producing some nice 'maters. The peppers are nice. Farmer Chris is slightly concerned but happy that things are still growing. 

Maybe summer is coming to an end? Nah... can't be. Don't let it be. Just let it be like 10 degrees cooler. that's all I need.

digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+14, outside, at 10pm, in the heat. 

blood glucose:
9am: 151
6pm: 143
10:30pm 173

food:
Coffee
water
iced coffee
handful of everything seasoned cashews
bowl of yogurt + blueberries
2 chicken thighs, 2 fajitas (carb balance 5mg carbs per wrap) with avocado spread and cheese
3 Truly Seltzers (3 carbs each)

2 comments:

  1. Eliz in Rockport10:30 AM

    Yay, numbers came back down beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i kind of feel like anything under 160 is what i want. and the numbers at bedtime are close-ish to when we had dinner, not as long as the fasting from overnight to morning. Continuing to work it out.

    thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete