Friday, May 24, 2024

Holiday Weekend Begins

Work today for me felt almost normal while reading the chaos for the other teams in Slack. I got quite a few things done, was able to go into a client slack where there was huge fussing going on about the brokenness of something, and I tried to be diplomatic. Still got a bit roasted (took it on behalf of the team), apologized and just said "look, this is a mountain we're moving, and we're sorry this doesn't meet your expectations, we'll get there. I'm sorry for the amount of time this is taking..." 

I couldn't make everyone happy. 

The "I'm not directing this at you, but..." response is always my favorite. 

Actually, pal, you are. But that's okay. I'm not taking it personally, but your rant does nothing to make things go faster. You just have to hang in there. The only thing I can do is assure you there's a lot happening and you are one of the many people who need help and attention. 

And then I went and did things I have control over.

My direct team colleagues are a lot of fun, we joke around a lot and we're honest with each other. It's so refreshing to just have nice normal fun people who I can be happy with. Very happy. 

I decided to make potato salad today. In between the tasks I can control. I hard boiled 4 eggs, I only really needed 3 but I knew Geoff or Doug would want one. I cooked a sheet of bacon. I cut up little wee potatoes into quarters, and boiled them. Everything cooled and got mixed with mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, scallions, and a dash of red wine vinegar. 

Quite pleased with myself, I should add. 

Doug booked our flights, our hotel, got us tickets to see the Dead on Saturday Night. This time next week I think I'll be landing in Vegas and I am stoked for it. I have said it before, I'll say it again - work is bananas.

Our office used to let us go around 3pm on the Fridays before holidays but our department head does not do that any longer, "since we don't have to fight traffic to get home, we're already home."

Kind of not the point of letting people off early, but okay. 

So I continued to work. It wasn't like work slowed down the way it sometimes does on a Friday of a holiday weekend. Answers back to questions slowed down a little. People somewhat disappeared a little, both in house and at clients. But I was happy to continue to be working and getting things done. Sometimes I have some rather mindless things that need done, and when there isn't a lot of action, it is easy to sit and do and just .... flow. Watch hockey, delete records that the client can't delete that have to be deleted one at a time.... drink seltzer. Watch hockey. 

Anyway. That's my exciting day. Dishwasher loaded, kitchen tidied, so. ready. for. bed. Digits below. 







digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours;  no dedicated 10 today (giving myself a break!), under 5k by bedtime because i just didn't wanna.

blood glucose:

8:30am: 161
4:30pm: 151
10:30pm: 163

food:
coffee/water
9:30am: everything bagel w/scallion chive cream cheese
11:30pm: protein shake; metformin
6:30pm: homemade potato salad, kielbasa, truly seltzers
7:30pm: Metformin+jardiance 

No comments:

Post a Comment