Monday, July 04, 2022

Aqua Aerobics

(meant to post on 7/3 but forgot) 

My friend Sara and I have been talking about taking an aqua aerobics class for the past year. Her doctor prescribed it for her, she's got a spinal stenosis situation, and this kind of activity will be incredibly beneficial for her. I'd just like to go. It sounds like maybe fun maybe. 

We started looking into it this morning and the county offers classes, but... they're at 10 and 11am all week long. Why no Saturday classes for the working class, county recreation? 

For people who have jobs that's kind of prohibitive. 

She has to go into the office and work in person. I work from home and could flex my schedule for anything medical that I want according to my HR documentation. And I know my boss would be cool with it. But. It's a half hour drive to the pool. Class would be like.... 45 minutes. Half hour drive back. There's two hours of my day twice a week? I don't know if I could justify that for myself. She had hoped there was a 6 or 7pm class, and I agreed. I'd even do an 8am class with her but in the fall she has to get her son to school. So this may not be a thing we can do. hmmm. Disappointing. 

I pointed out that there is a gym right between our houses with a pool. A private gym that you have to become a member of. She voted no way. She was a member there ten years ago, and it was super sucky and horrible. Everyone on staff was hugely fat phobic and rude to anyone "big," and also to black people, which she is. She went regularly for a year and one staff member said "for as often as you're here, I would expect to see you looking a lot more fit and healthy." 

So they're dead to her. And I'm along for that funeral. I do not want to pay good money for a membership somewhere that people will be dicks to me. Thanks no. Hard no. I don't even want to pay a membership where people might talk to me. I'm kind of at that point. She and I have been laughing about this for days. 

There are county outdoor pools that we can go to that don't offer classes, so I joked around we should just watch some youtube videos, go to the pool, pay the 6 bucks for me and 7 bucks for her (ha! The benefits of being 55! I'm an OLD person and get the senior discount!) And then we can do our own routines. And yell at each other to push harder, go faster. Whatever. 

Or just go "you're doing SUCH a good job!"

We are ridiculous. 

So yesterday I commented that we were waiting for storms, and they showed up. We got some small thunderstorms in the evening but those came with torrential rain. We went to bed around 11, and I heard rain battering against the bedroom window, and another round of thunder. Our cel phones went off with a flash flood advisory for our area and this morning, according to the county public safety twitter, there were tons of reports of issues. A couple water rescues, a couple house floodings, trees fell down on top of houses, and there were cars that were submerged in rising water. Kind of an exciting overnight while we slept safely. 

Those were a different kind of aqua aerobics, I guess. 




Digits: 

exercise: Overcast and muggy today so.... 

Blood Glucose:
11am: 188
4:30pm: 136
10pm: 241 

Food:
Coffee
Water
half a tomato, sliced with a sprinkle of salt
tuna salad with celery, red onion, chives, mayo, and two more slices of tomato
huge salad
3 hot dogs, 2 with buns, 2 without
ramekin of trail mix
handful of cherries




No comments:

Post a Comment