Friday, July 22, 2022

In the Valley

We made very good time getting up here, and just finished a nice dinner in. It's my mother in law's birthday, I think she might be 79? and she wasn't sure about going out, reservations, all that other stuff. She and Doug debated and debated while I was seeing Ben Folds. So she called an audible. She didn't make a reservation at her favorite foodrinkery. Instead, she went to the market, to the prepared foods section, got salmon, stuffed shells, green beans, cake, wine.  Doug's sister and her husband J and son Craig came here at 5:30 for the birthday feast. We have had a lovely visit so far. But I am so tired.

Doug, his mom, and his sister are in the dining room talking about stuff and I'm super wiped out. I didn't get a lot of sleep, and right now at 10pm I could crawl into the other room and disappear. I'm in the living room, in eyeline and earshot, listening to them debate whether or not a plate she served cake on is something that Doug has seen, or not. He says yes, she says no. She hasn't taken it out in years. How could he have ever seen it! 

There's a lot of back and forth about it, and it is just not worth sitting in on the Plate Debate. 

I needed to do my dedicated 10. After sitting in the car for almost 5 hours, it had to happen.

After cake (I ate some) I excused myself. I put my sandals on, and my nephew, who is 16, was sitting here in the living room by himself. 

"You wanna go for a walk with me, I gotta get some exercise after the long car ride." He agreed and I was surprised. I told him that I wanted to go to the end of the street, which turned out to be farther than I thought. A full half mile, and I thought it was a lot less. And it was uphill on the way back. 

Ten minutes to the end, and a solid 11 on the way back. Slightly slower on the way back, especially at the end. We talked about school, scouts, summertime, drivers licenses, car shows he's been to this year (he loves car shows), motorcycles and how he'd like one but his mother would probably never let him. Does he know different brands, like Yamaha or Harley Davidson or Indian. He sure does. It was a great chat. 

And the night is the perfect temperature right now. Absolutely perfect. Mom does not have patio furniture out here, which is so stupid. I could be sitting outside listening to crickets and seeing fireflies. We will see if we can rectify that tomorrow.

No picture. I wanted to take a shot of the Pitt campus from the highway but it was pouring out, and there was no view over to the cathedral. 


digits!


exercise: Dedicated 10+12 nice walk with Craig! More than I thought I'd do because if I was alone, I would have turned around and come back much sooner if it wasn't for being with him. Thanks buddy.

Blood Glucose
7am: 168
6pm: 130
11pm: 189 (thanks, cake)

Food:
coffee
water
2 burger king chicken planks, no buns, no nothin. I asked for the chicken sandwiches without bread, thought i'd at least get cheese, lettuce, mayo. but no. 
thin piece of salmon, about 15 green beans, one baked stuffed shell with ricotta cheese, one slice of cake. 3 glasses of wine (riesling and moscato. not what i usually drink). 





No comments:

Post a Comment