Thursday, July 07, 2022

The Semester Begins

Geoff's summer session started yesterday. He has in person lab M/W/F, virtual/online lecture Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. 

He went in for his first lab class and there was one other student, there were supposed to be six. There are two lab sessions scheduled, an early session at 9am and then this one he signed up for at noon. He figured with traffic, it'd be safer to sign up at noon. 

But now they're going to merge the two sessions together, and he has to go at 9am. Which he's not happy about because traffic and getting there is going to be so huge. There's no good way to go, no backroads, you have to fight the beltway, and it's the worst. He's now super anxious about this. He'll probably be leaving at 6am because he's terrified of being late. I told him that's cool - pack a breakfast, take a travel mug of coffee, and pack his patience, and be careful. I'm thinking that if there was a situation where someone had to take that noon lab (ie: they work mornings at a cafe or something) this could screw up their lives. Lucky for Geoff and this other guy they're flexible.

If you are reading this and the praying type, just keep him in your heart over the next 10 weeks. Starting tomorrow. He needs a win, and he needs to just get through this so Fall 2022-end of spring 2023 will work. He can do this. I know he can do this. I believe he can. 

He said the lab instructor is really nice. He met her at the open house the school hosted. I just looked over all of the materials they sent home with him. A lovely 3 ring binder, with a front sheet customized for him. Such a lovely touch. 

I've been very anxious myself about a lot of things work-wise and have been very stressed out. Last week our IT department did a remote session with me to upgrade my operating system but now my screenshare capabilities do not work. I need to go into the office, in person, because the tech can't remote into my computer and fix things and she can't give me the administrator password because that's not allowed.

Since last week, I've been casually clicking off a pop up window for virus protection installation that she needs to complete. I've got several messages from other products shoved over into the bottom left corner to get them out of the way.

Today I was in a webinar with another colleague and she sent the controls over to me so I could share my screen. 

Only it didn't work. 

I'm on a webinar with 80 other people, and cannot share my screen. 

How I didn't just burst into tears and freak out screaming is beyond me. Some folks on the webinar started making suggestions like 'make her the co-presenter!' 'you should restart your computer!' We didn't have time to think on our feet and have me reboot so I did the best I could, and my colleague shared her screen. I had to walk her through places to go to shoe the attendees the examples. I was KICKING myself for not adding a slide to the presentation with the links to the websites I wanted to show as examples. Holy shit why didn't I do that. Fark. Farkin' Fark. Jebus. 

We survived, or I should say I survived, and everyone was gracious. We recorded this presentation so people could see it later. I asked my boss if he could edit out the part where everything didn't work and he told me it was fine. So now it goes out to the world, for everyone to see. With my screw up in it. And i hate it.

the webinar was over at 4pm and I slipped to my bedroom to wallow in my bed and be miserable.  

Anyway. 

I don't have a photo today. Digits below:




exercise:

blood glucose:
8:30am: 192
5:30pm: 140
10pm: 213 (too close to dinner still?)

Food:
Coffee
Water
iced coffee
large bowl of left over chorizo kale soup
3 country style pork ribs, grilled zucchini and squash, left over cucumber salad from last night
small ramekin of cashews

No comments:

Post a Comment