Monday, July 18, 2022

Doing Dishes for Three Solid Hours

Note: I laid down on the bed at 9:30 thinking I'd just play with my phone and then come update with the final reading and publish. But I fell asleep and woke up at 2. 

It never ends. It never will end.

On today's agenda was a visit to Doug's aunt's house for the one day for the rest of this month we have time to help her. 

She said she got fined because the electrical panel doesn't have a clear path to it. She said they never told her it had to. 

There was a lot of other lists of horrible things that the county is going to do. We listened to it all. The chief of the fire department is horrible, they keep showing up unannounced. And on top of everything, her dishwasher doesn't seem to be working. 

"I run the dishwasher and run the dishwasher and nothing comes clean! I've had that load of dishes in there for weeks and it just won't wash." 

I opened the dishwasher and it was filled to the gills, and there was about 5 inches of water in the bottom, not drained. Nothing was clean, and the stench was horrible. Well, it doesn't matter how many times you wash the load of dishes, if it doesn't drain, it doesn't drain. 

The sink was full to overflowing, so I got things organized to just start washing everything by hand that was there, so I could unload the dishwasher and maybe see if I could find out why it would not drain. 

I won't go into detail about the struggle it was to get things to the point where I could wash the dishes. The ones in the sink, the ones on the stove, the things in the stove, and the dishwasher. 

I started washing dishes at about 1pm. 

I finished washing dishes at like 4 something. I took a short break after taking some bags of trash out to the barrels, and I sat to drink some water outside. I was soaking wet from water from the sink, and had yet to hit the dishwasher. 

It was gross. So gross. I got all the dishes out, into the sink, hot soapy water, and started to absorb as much liquid as I could with paper towels. I used two whole rolls and thought to myself "Jeeeesh why didn't I bail it all out with a plastic scoop?" 

Dumb. 

Anyway - got to the bottom of the dishwasher, got it all wiped down and cleaned out. There was broken glass in the filter assembly. Glad I didn't poke myself with any of it. My guess was it's seriously clogged, but I figured I'd take out the filter assembly and see if I could find out what was in it. But. It's one of those dishwashers that you can't just pop shit out of. The spinny arms pop off but beyond that, screws, and clips, and all kinds of nonsense. I did that once back in Massachusetts and could not get it back together again and needed Doug to help. 

We told her she needs a plumber. We could do just so much. This was beyond our skills. Doug had just worked about 3 hours in the bathroom, cleaning stuff out of there. I had started it a few months ago, but didn't get too far. He knew the electrical panel had to be unblocked, so he aimed there and kept going. 

I left her a full sink of dishes that I had nowhere to put to dry. She sent us home with a cute little serving pot with a silver stand, and Doug asked for a couple of flower pots that were in the backyard. 

The fun part is, we got home, grabbed steaks and fajita wraps, came home and Doug whipped me up a G&T without me asking. 

"You earned all your good helper points for a month today."

Thank you for acknowledging. It was a lot of work. We made a lot of progress for her. 

Part of me thinks if I went back there Thursday the sink of dishes I left for her would still be sitting there. But I'm not going to think about it. At all. No.

Digits below the picture. 

Left to right: some sort of dressmaker's dummy for doll sized clothing, circa early 1900s; the living room view from the front door, all stuff that needs to go to storage; the view from the deck into the kitchen/dining room. I should have taken a picture of the dishes.

digits

exercise: No "dedicated 10" today but I managed to bust my ass working and my fitbit shows how much work I did. 

blood glucose:
9am: 202 (yikes? but I did eat a LOT of carb filled trail mix before bed last night so. Not surprised). 
6pm: 153
9:30pm: 202 

food:
Coffee
Water
Carb balance fajita wrap with peanut butter
2 fajitas of beef, sour cream, avocado (not carb friendly wraps but I was hungry)
several little chocolate crisp cookies
2 Gin & Tonics 

No comments:

Post a Comment