Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Only One Pound?

Today I went to get my bloodwork done for the A1c. Should have had it done back at the end of June but I'm challenged, you know, getting out of my house. Fingers crossed, but I feel like it has to be 7.5 or lower at this rate. It was 8.2 when I started the no/low carb grind. I checked my chart for the history of things, so, when this comes in I'll report back and screenshot the lil'graph.

Geoff came with me as he had to get a TB test. So get poked today, and read on Thursday. Perfect. While he was getting checked in, I got to sneak into the office and jump on the scale. I was super hopeful for say about a 205 reading. 

It was 210.4. The hell? They say to take 2lbs off for your clothing, okay. so ... 208.4 maybe.  But I wanted 205 with clothes on. Last time I was weighed there it was 211.8 so that's progress but fuhhhhhhdge. 

We'll keep on keeping on. All I can do, right?

I went downstairs to the lab while Geoff waited for his TB test. I pulled a number and realized there were 30 people ahead of me. Part of me said fuck this shit, let's leave. 

But. I was there. There I was. Work could wait. I'll be patient. We'll be through this soon.

Geoff came down to meet me, said he had to wait 40 minutes and was surprised I still hadn't been seen. There were 2 people ahead of me, so it was perfect timing. When they called my number I brought him in with. I asked the phlebotomist if it was okay that he observe and they got to talking. she asked me my birthdate, full name, and medical record number. I rolled up my sleeve and he said "that's consent to the blood draw." She said no not really, you ask if they're ready after the confirmation of the medical record, DOB, and name. She put on the tourniquet and I told Geoff she did it much more tightly than he had when he practiced on me. She found my vein quickly and asked if he wanted to feel. They talked about what to look for, and he found it easily with her guidance. She asked if he knew about the vials, what the different colors mean. blue, lavender, maroon+brown, pink+lavender. He was able to tell her that. She was impressed. 

They talked about her career, she has been doing this 10 years, and is thinking of doing the program he is doing but she got on the employment track and just kept going. She told us what she earns (with 10 yrs experience) and said that the starting pay will be pretty good for the job, especially at this kind of lab. Hospitals pay less. American Red Cross is not the best pay, but you feel good being part of that mission. 

It was a good chat - and she seemed to be impressed with his ability to answer and his ability to listen. 

The sample taking at the lab was mobbed, absolutely busy, so I told him they are working as fast as they can with the staff they have, and this is what it would be like every day.  She said she's inspired to go get her certificate beyond the phlebotomy now, having met Geoff. 

Glad I didn't pack it in when I saw the giant line, and knew it would be an hour until I'd be through. We both felt happy upon leaving. 

Prayers for continued growth and learning for him. 

Here's the picture of the scale.

And I am annoyed because I got all the other bloodwork panels back, but not the A1c. Not waiting up any longer, I'm pretty sure the lab techs at this facility are not there testing things at this hour. Maybe if I had gone to the 24 hour lab, I'd know. They're super fast and have a ton of staff. but .... I'm not driving an hour. I will hopefully hear in the morning. 


digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+3. walked laps downstairs. did pushups on the stairs. squats.

blood glucose
8:30am: 157
5pm: 174
10pm: 176

Food:
Coffee
Water
2 bowls of chicken salad (chicken, cream cheese, mayo, dried cranberries, walnuts)
1 chicken thigh tacos with melted cheese on low-carb wraps (3 net carbs per whole wheat wrap)


No comments:

Post a Comment