Friday, July 15, 2022

To The Office

 Today. Today is the day. The day I went back to my office. For the first time since March 13, 2020, I entered the building. I'd been to the building, to the back door to get a loaner laptop while mine was in the shop in the summer of 2020. I'd been near the office, at the end of the block at a beer garden.

But not inside.

I was going to go 2 weeks ago to get my computer fixed after a not so perfect OS upgrade, and still had not. Last week I couldn't share my screen in a presentation, because ... I didn't go into the office. This whole week, I didn't go into the office to get it fixed. Next week, I have to share my screen. And what will happen.... sigh.

Well then. Shit.

I felt like Cameron in Ferris Bueller sitting in the car, doing this: 


I'll go. I'll go. I'll go...... 

Only I don't have a 1960s Ferrari of my dad's to swipe and then have an epic adventure. heh. 

I took the new car. Very nice. Nice ride. Back window is very small and so are the mirrors so I had to think of maneuvers before committing to them. Front end is longer than I'm used to so when I pulled into a parking space it was an almost "oops" for me. But I caught it and corrected

We had a goodbye party on zoom for one of my colleagues at 11. My coworker Emily set up the conference room so she and I could sit in there. It was weird being at a party to say goodbye to someone I've never met in person.

I'm going to miss her and am so sad she's leaving, but she's going to be amazing where she's going. It is a great nextstep for her, and I felt like she was ready to go, and she's achieved all that our project can give her. I then connected with a coworker that I adore for a quick chat. My little lunch from the cafe was nice, there was always a robust salad bar there, but now they have pre-made take-aways. I didn't want the hot lunch they were offering, too many carbs. 

My computer issues took about a half hour to iron out, but the IT guy did a great job, confirmed that I can successfully screen share, the anti-virus messages won't pop up anymore that I need to buy the product. No more pop ups all the time. Thankfully. Ugh.

I had scheduled a meeting and pulled in a few colleagues for extra help and eyes. The screensharing worked flawlessly. Gosh yes.  We had a great chat, and I think we saved this person from having much more stress, and him stressing one of our colleagues out even more than he already has. Whew. But he just emailed me at 9pm and said it isn't working, and I am ignoring him. If he calls in an ER page I am on call and I may just kill him.

I texted pictures to my friend R of our desks, and some of the treasures I found as I was sorting through the boxes. We had a good laugh, there are some amazing memories of that space in two boxes. A little bittersweet.

Around 3pm, I started feeling it was time to go home. I was kind of wanting to reach out to team members in the building and say "hey, wanna go for a beer?" but they probably wanted to work for another two hours. I had to drive home so I wanted to not sit in traffic on a Friday night. 

Earlier this year my company came through and packed up all of our stuff at our desks, so everything I owned was boxed up, waiting for me. Waiting for us all. Hence, the car. I could have taken the metro. I could have come down any time on the Metro, but I knew I'd want to bring my shit home. 

So I brought my shit home. And I got halfway home when I realized I didn't take a picture at the Tiny Desk the way I wanted. Damn. I really wanted to swing by there and look around, and dream, of a certain band and how they have yet to get in there...

Here are a couple pictures of stuff from my desk. I kind of miss it, but, I really do love working at home. Maybe I'll go in some other time, by the metro, and stay later and have a beer with some of the folks I adore who are coming in regularly. 

Digits below. And my blood sugar will be no good later tonight because of the food choices and the take-out. 


digits:

exercise: "dedicated 10" plus 3. walking some laps in the office before a meeting (I missed walking laps in the office). It would have been more but I had to get back to my desk to start a meeting.

additional 20 at home with laps after dinner. 33 total min. of walking. Doug is on his walk, I loaded the dishwasher, put away dinner and noticed how much I was walking between rooms. Kept walking. Why not. Boom. 

blood glucose:
8am: 171
5pm: 226 (whaaat?)
9:30pm: 206

Food:
coffee
water
take away salad at the cafe, chicken carrots kale spinach apples balsamic vinaigrette 
a couple cherries
Chinese take out. General Tso's chicken with broccoli, boneless spare ribs, some combo fried rice, beef and snow peas, curry beef egg roll
2 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment