Thursday, July 28, 2022

The Trip Home and the Day After

Our last day with mom was pretty fruitful. The car got fixed (yay!). We went out to a super nice lunch (yay!) and we came back to the house and I helped her order some shoes online (yay!). and get them shipped (yay!). We left a lot later than we intended, Doug wanted to swing by the old house and look at things. Initially I thought he was going to go get the secret key and go look at things inside but he passed on that. He knows almost all the furniture is out of there, and there is a lot of stuff still in there, and he said it would make him sad. 

I didn't push. I won't.

As much as I want for us to help and get her fully cleaned up and moved over, I feel like he hasn't been letting on how much this impacts him really. I'm pumping the brakes hard on encouraging or bringing anything up. 

We walked around the yard, looked at the garden plot that his dad always maintained so beautifully. The grass is all cut nice but there are bushes and wild things and unruly. After our brief stroll around we got back into the car and started for home.

The trip was uneventful. We thought we were going to have so much rain, the forecast looked dire, but we stayed ahead of everything and had nothing but some sprinkles. We were getting hungry and decided to stop in Hancock for a meal. 

Doug had some some pre-trip research and picked a place called Buddylou's that I mentioned it in the entry yesterday. The restaurant is Dog Themed, and they even have dog menu (food for dogs, not dogs ON the menu). It is hilarious. They also have an antique shop, and of course, soft serve ice cream which was delightful. 

We had been to Hancock before, that's where the car was towed when it broke down as Doug and Geoff were on their way to his dad after his aneurysm. They waited for me to come rescue them, my boss Janeen took my dog, and we were all able to be by dad's side before he passed. They waited at a bar for me to come get them, and we thought about going there again but he figured there was more to life in Hancock than the Triangle Bar. 

We survived that, right? And we'll survive all this. 

So Hancock is a town familiar to us. They call it "Maryland's Waist," where the big part of the East gets skinny and the panhandle exists. It is in that part of Maryland where you can park in West Virginia, walk across Maryland and get to Pennsylvania and brag that you hiked across three states! 

Dinner was lovely and we took a short walk on the C&O canal, which we often visit down by where we live. Haven't been for a while, not since early in the pandemic. It was a nice walk, with our ice cream, and we got a good leg stretch even if it was less than the dedicated 10. 

Coming back to work this morning, I thought to myself that I just should have taken the whole week off. We had a system outage, I had a lot of stress and honestly felt like just telling my boss I needed a mental health day. I started to think about what it would be like to just quit my job. 2 weeks notice, done. Go. Or, to start applying for other jobs and then quit. 

I had a call with someone late in the day and the guy was so kind and appreciative, so thankful for all my team does and it made softened my "I wanna quit" feels and calm down. Not sure how he knew today was the day I needed to be reminded about what I do being important, but, it was the right day. 

Thankful tomorrow is Friday and I can forget about work again for a couple days. And then in a couple weeks, off to Maine, and Guster, and my sister, and my friends. I've been living for that experience and am so looking forward to having it. 

Here are some pictures I meant to post with yesterday's entry that I just didn't have the energy to deal with. Digits below. 








digits

exercise: meh

blood glucose
9am 205 (why so high after good night's sleep!)
5pm: 161
10pm: 164

food
Coffee
Water
iced coffee
turkey sandwich with sliced tomato on 647 bread with a lot of mayo
1 slice of 647 bread with peanut butter
ramekin of nuts
Cheeseburger (no bun) Large pile of Caesar Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment