Sunday, August 20, 2023

Home at last

Had an easy peasy lemon squeezy trip back from Providence. Great airport! Except that somehow I set off something hot and wild in the crotch area during the security screening. It happened out of Baltimore too, but I didn't get as big a reaction as little airport PVD. I ended up in a private screening room, passed the test, but have no idea why twice in 2 weeks my nether regions have been, noted. 

Anyway. Once through the ordeal of being searched in a private room like I'm some sort of weirdo trying to smuggle something in my coochie, I got to my gate with no time to sit and play pokemon and have a glass of wine.

Happily, it is an hour and 10 minutes of a trip, by the time you get up and cruise for a minute it is time to start heading back down. Doug was right there to get me after I got my bag, and asked if I wanted to go straight home or go out. It wasn't even 3pm so I said hell yeah, let's go somewhere. He decided we'd go into Baltimore to Fells Point.  

Fells Point used to be a wreck as little as one decade back, but now it is a happy hipster haven with a chic fancy hotel in what used to be the location for the show Homicide: Life On The Streets. It is one of my very favorite all time shows. I stopped here in 2002 with Linda when she moved to Florida, the blog entry is here but the pictures are missing... sadly. I think I have them all on a backup drive somewhere. I should go find them.

The entire neighborhood at that time was shut up, boarded up, everything was vacant. And this building was also vacant. I didn't cross the street today, but the last time I was there they had a plaque on the front of the building commemorating the men and women who filmed the series and starred in it, and the police in the city who inspired their stories. 

Now, well, it's different. Very Very Different. I wonder if the plaque is still there. I should have gone to look. It would be a damn shame if it was gone.

We went to Koopers Tavern and had a couple beers and I had a tremendously good salad with spinach, blueberries, goat cheese, strawberries, almonds. Tremendous. Doug had a lamb burger, that he said was great. 

We caught up on the happenings since I've been away. Phineas kind of had a seizure the night that I left, Doug isn't sure what was happening and it has not happened again. Geoff had a good interview, and has another one scheduled for next week at a place I'd rather see him work. 

I overshared about the Guster Fest (his eyes glazed over a little as I gushed about how awesome it was). I told him all the super frustrating things that happened to us with my mom. And I knew for sure he'd love the New Bedford story from the other day.

I let him know I was super relieved to be back. That this was just taxing and exhausting for me. We took a good walk around the neighborhood, knowing that at 5pm the resident parking kicks in and we had to move our car, cutting our visit short.

Usually I take the day off after I get home from a trip to get reorganized at home. But because I took 3 days off before the fest, I just felt it wasn't a good idea. I regret it now. The kitchen is a disaster, Everything is a mess. It smells funny in here, which is not something I remember it smelling as when I left. The garden needs work. I just watered the front step plants but didn't get to anything else. 

But right now, I'm tired as fuck, and ready for bed. 

Here's what the Baltimore Police Department looks like now. And here's a good writeup someone did a few years back before everything changed, you can see the pictures of the building, the plaque, and the pier. Digits below.

digits

exercise: 7/12 hours of 250 steps. Planes, cars, restaurants. Still got over 6k steps.

blood glucose:

8am: 163
xpm: x no afternoon reading
10pm: 166

food:

coffee, water
11:30am: Metformin; 2 eggwhite bites w/gruyere and bacon from starbucks
2pm: high noon and snack mix on the plane
4pm: spinach salad w/goat cheese, blueberries, strawberries, onions, almond slices; 2 beers
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm: granola w/blueberries and yogurt; 2 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment