Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Making a list checking it twice

I'm probably not the only person on earth who makes travel arrangements, and then checks, rechecks, checks again, and rechecks the bookings repeatedly to make sure I didn't mess something up. Right?

Both Linda and I have screwed up hotel reservations recently, shorting ourselves a day and not hitting the right date on the date picker for check out. 

Last year, Linda booked us in a hotel by mom and dad and we were checking out Thursday. Housekeeping knocked on the door Wednesday to clean because we were supposed to be checked out. Mad scramble. I grabbed my laptop and booked the room (thankfully available!) and Linda ran downstairs to talk to the front desk. 

I accidentally booked myself in to the hotel in Maine a few months ago for the day I was working on the computer in June, not for the night I needed in August, because somehow I forgot to select the dates. I immediately realized what I did, called the hotel, got the date moved to August (and just had to cancel it because I won't be there that night.

Over the last 24 hours I've opened my Southwest and Marriott bookings and looked them over, again, and again. I can't mess this up. Not this time of year, not in Maine, and flights are crazy booked up. 

We were in Massachusetts last month and I checked "Thursday" thinking "I am staying through that day and checking out the next day, Friday!" but you're supposed to select the Check Out date, not the last night you think you're sleeping there. So we found ourselves shorted on the busiest weekend ever. Jesus what is wrong with my brain sometimes.  

With the chaos of being up there, not knowing how long any of us were staying, if anyone was staying  with Mom, what day the funeral was etc... we ended up having to book extra nights and move things around. The hotel front desk was so helpful. On the Friday night of the last weekend we were there, both Linda and I needed to extend to Sunday. But the place was fully booked. In fact, the front desk told us they were overbooked by 2 rooms. 

At one point I picked up my laptop and checked again and there were 2 rooms available. I grabbed them, got reservation numbers, and ran downstairs to check with the front desk. Sure enough -these were good. There had been cancelations, and enough so that there were rooms for us. 

The front desk lady was so sweet, and she said "your dad is watching out for you." 

Too true, lady. 

So today, here I am, double checking. Triple checking.
Am I flying to the right airport Wednesday (yes).
Do I have a hotel (yes)
one night? (yes)
okay alright okay alright.
Then we drive Thursday up to see my mom.
I booked myself my own room so Linda and Ginger can have solo time (plus they both like to sleep with the TV on and I like a podcast or nothing else.
So. Did I book the right day (yes)
one night? (yes)

That whole kind of thing. 

At this point, I'm super regretting not driving. 

I'm looking at my dress, the craft stuff I have not finished, the bracelets, the fact I think we are supposed to bring lawn chairs to the show for ourselves and the VIP section allows the taller camping chairs, whereas last year I bought the short beach chairs that are allowed for the GA area. 

I've never traveled with two bags before, but I think I need to check one, and use my bigger than a backpack, smaller than a real suitcase bag for my carry on. 

Is all my laundry done? Hmmm. 

I need to see if Linda has camping chairs. If not, we have to buy them and bring them. Ginger can't sit on the floor for 2 days. That's mean. 

Linda has the coolers. We need snacks. We'll buy them when we are at Mom's not when we get to Maine. that'll be too late, we won't have time. 

I sat in a webinar today and put a dot of epoxy on the knots on the bracelets I've made so far. Realizing some of these are way, way small. Gonna make some bigger ones for bigger humans. Hope the kids are happy with what they end up with. 

Next to trip the excess string. 

Next to glue things to the fish net for my costume.

I'll never finish the lobsters, even if I bring them with. That's a given. Anyway, here's part of the bracelet haul. I'm kind of impressed.

Digits below.

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

9am: 182
5:30pm: 136
10:30pm: 198

food:

coffee, water
12:30: left over tzatziki  salad, small scoop of potato salad, cheeseburger left over from the other night
1:30pm: Metformin
6pm: 2 burned hotdogs in 1 bun; metformin+jardiance. White wine
7pm: bowl of yogurt, granola, cantaloupe
10:45pm: protein shake

No comments:

Post a Comment