Sunday, August 06, 2023

If they Shenan once, you can bet they'll Shenan-again

I didn't post Saturday's entry because I literally just fell into bed, hot and sweaty at 9pm. Digits for both weekend days will be below. 

Since I'm out of town the next two weekends, on Saturday we realized we could either do yard work or go out to a favorite brewery called Mad Science up north, and see if our friends M&M were free. We picked a brewery day.

We have a tendency to not plan ahead very well, and they have a tendency to actually plan things weeks in advance. We haven't seen each other since the Coheed and Cambria show a few months ago, things just weren't clicking schedule-wise. 

Wonderfully, they were free and asked if they could bring some of Mike's new co-workers who literally just moved here from Iowa. Like, literally arrived on Friday. And here it was Saturday morning. Absolutely. Yes. Bring them. 

Welcome to Maryland, have a beer.

They have some incredibly tasty brews and I decided to try their Dunning-Kruger Effect beer, low ABV, and like a sour lemon candy. you can get an infuser of berries shot through it, and man is it delicious. He brews in very small batches, so sometimes things aren't available. But he had everything we wanted and I am regretting that we didn't buy some to bring home. 

They have a brewery dog named Sinnamon. And I love her. She welcomes everyone and makes the rounds of all the people, visits the tables, gets snacks and pats. 

But she was a little off her game yesterday, on the floor, in one spot, kind of shaking. Brian (the brewer) told us there was an incredibly bad thunderstorm last weekend, and she was still shook from it. He said she gets PTSD from storms, and it takes a while for her to rebound. I did give her love and scritches, but she didn't want a pretzel which of course, was a little surprising. Poor bean. 

The new folks are really sweet. I feel like they are very very young humans. They have 3 kids, and the oldest of them is 10. So to me, these are like baby grown ups. But they like the Regular Show, and my guess is M&M will probably all get together again for some fun. We all had a delightful time, and lots of laughs. 

I also am very proud of myself for not buying more plants. 

We are very fond of this little brewery, and the owner/brewer posted to Facebook that he had cancer a few years ago and now it is back. He won't know more about what's up until he gets a PET scan soon. Wishing him the best. Aside from making some of the tastiest beers out there, he's just a super nice and smart guy. 

Doug and I left to head home, and the GPS routed us off the highway and right by another much adored brewery called Landmade. The temperature was starting to drop, nicely. It was past dinner time, and boy was I hungry and could use some protein or something. 

They have a permanent food truck that makes some excellent burgers so we opted to have small dinner. After the dinner snack and a beer we headed home. 

Pictured, lil'wee table decorations, Doug's beer "Wander" which was peach infused. My beer, Marley, an American Pale Ale with honey.

The view of the barn/grounds. Tons of space here, not just in the tent but fire pits and tables everywhere. An excellent place to chill and hang.

Further out, from the parking lot.


Hard to see, but there are goats (some were hiding) and crepe myrtles in the background! 
And small children looking at goats.

It was a fun day out for us, a little too much beer, not enough food. But fun no matter what. My blood sugar was not thanking me, and I was tired from the heat. Happy to get home.

At about 4:30am Phineas fell out of bed. He had put himself to bed in the guest room (hilarious to me that he does this) and I slept in my bed for a change. Didn't realize that my body being on the exposed side of the bed was probably very helpful to the bean and he just rolled the hell off the edge. I heard him hit the floor and got up to help him. He was all legs and flailing. He could not stand up, so I lifted him up and put him on the carpet at the foot of the bed until he could stand stable. I walked him outside and then took myself to the bathroom while he did what he needed to do. 

Then I went to bed with him after. Thinking I need Geoff to bring up all the guest pillows so I can build the dog a pillow fort/wall protector and prevent this from happening. Doug didn't hear him fall, so this would be a problem with me out of town. Since Phineas hates our mattress (we ruined his life) he refuses to get in our bed.

Doug did a bunch of yard work this morning after I got up. Our neighbor has been complaining that we let stuff grow on the fence between our houses. He went and trimmed up the overgrowth, just to shut her up. We noticed recently she has no trees on her property. Nothing. So he had asked her why, and she had them all removed because it was too much to keep up with (ie: paying the lawn service to also take care of leaves). She complained that our Crepe Myrtle is too big, and hangs over the fence to her yard. And our giant maple drops leaves in her yard. 

Lady. Honestly. We are not cutting down trees. So don't even hint that is what you want. Ain't gonna happen. 

But Doug at least did some things to placate her. And as a result, he's been suffering with allergies all day and miserable, so this has monkeywrenched our day. He's grumpy, sleepy, AND sneezy!

I loaded the dishwasher, got the laundry ready, set up the pitcher for sun tea, got bacon going, talked to Guster fans about our shenanigans for next weekend. Looked at bracelets. 

I've run out of the letter T. This is a crisis. My friend Dave as in "Shenanigans With" asked me how I would make him a TRUMP bracelet. I said sorry - I can make you a "RUMP" bracelet. Would that do? I'm funny. 

We had a cantaloupe that was dangerously close to being no good so I took the time to chop it up into little squares. I've mixed it with some peach slices and a couple red raspberries. Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to put it in wine or in yogurt+granola. Choices. 

I had some loose tea leaves from a gift someone had given me last year, and didn't want to dump them into the pitcher, but I really wanted to use them. I was all ready to order a new loose tea doohickey when I found the old dinosaur tea holder that we'd given Jess years ago. When Jess moved out, a lot of things didn't go with, simply because they didn't have the space for things. Hence, me having little teapots and tea ... thingies. What are these called? Anyway. I was thrilled to find it, filled it with the fancy flavored tea leaves and plopped it into the pitcher. 

The pitcher is pictured with our dreaded-and-hated-by-the-neighbor Crepe Myrtle. Alright. Digits down below. 

Sunday digits

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

9:30am: 203
5pm: 187
10pm: 183

food:

coffee, water, iced coffee
11:30am: several slices of bacon; grilled cheese w/bacon and tomato, 2 slices American cheese and 2 slices of 647 wheat; metformin
3pm: 2 left over hot sausages
6:30pm: 1 cheeseburger over potato salad (egg, bacon, etc); metformin+jardiance
vodka tonic



Saturday digits

exercise: 8/12 hours of 250 steps. Lots of car sitting and beer drink sitting

blood glucose:

7:30am: 150
xpm: no afternoon reading
10pm: 210

food:

coffee, water, iced tea, beer
11am: pbj "quesadilla on 2 pieces of small fajita wraps; metformin
Brewery 1: pretzels. 3 beers
Brewery 2: 1 smash burger (should have gotten a double patty) no bun, onions, cheese, special sauce, 1 beer
7pm: 1 generous cup of greek yogurt, 1 perfectly over ripe juicy peach, 1 cup of granola. Metformin+Jardiance
8pm: several slices of gouda cheese 

No comments:

Post a Comment