Thursday, August 31, 2023

Falling down the Google Maps Rabbit Hole

As many of you know, unless you just are on a personal absolute media blackout, a hurricane came up the gulf and hit Florida this week. The fascinating thing for me is the geography. I'm absolutely, completely unfamiliar with this Florida. 

East Coast? know it like the back of my hand from Miami to Jacksonville. A little inland on the East Coast? Hmmmmm, I know some things, like everyone knows Lake Okeechobee and Orlando in the middle of the south and the north respectively. West Coast? Sure. Naples, Ft. Myers, Tampa, over in the panhandle we know all about Panama City, and Pensacola. I have friends all over that side too.  

I've never been to the Keys but I know a lot of them, from Key West to Geiger Key, (gotta visit there some day), Islamorada, Marathon, Key Largo, and the humongously long 7 mile bridge. I've always wanted to go drive Rte 1, down from the mainland to the end. Maybe in my head I romanticize it, but it just feels like it'd be fun. 

But this "Big Bend" region of Florida that everyone is talking about since the storm, I'm learning a lot. 

It's an unofficial name geographically, where the panhandle transitions to the peninsula, north of Clearwater and all the way up to Tallahassee, turn left and go all the way over to the west there to Alabama. Damn. I know nothing of this area. 

So while I'm drowning in panic and work stuff, here I am, avoiding reality at times, and looking at Google Maps. I'm learning about places like Keaton Beach, Cedar Key, Perry, Sopchoppy! What a name! 

I'm eternally fascinated by places I've never heard of or been to sometimes. Just knowing they are there, and there's ocean, and is it nice? Is it gross? Is it a oil rig ruined town? Or is it a pristine undiscovered oasis! 

What more, I was looking at the area, like at Keaton Beach, and the hotel options are scarce. You have to stay 30 miles away in Perry or down in Steinhatchee. I bet there are cottage rentals, I bet there may be some Air BnB options. But wow is this minimal. Like an undiscovered country, with no Marriotts nearby. 

Interesting.

Anyway. Today was not nearly as bad as yesterday. I had a victory, I was able to communicate a big, deep, important mistake someone made and with authority let them know how "we" fix it. My manager actually fixed the most of it (thank glob) and the client gets to thank the rest. 

Tomorrow, I'm going into the office. One of my colleagues is in the area for a wedding, and he wants to come visit. He's been to the building before, but he works remotely, and wants to get an ID Badge. He was hired during the pandemic, so this is his first "Real Boy" job at HQ. We also have a colleague who is leaving, and tomorrow is his last day. It's kind of weird because I have no idea why he'd leave after 19 years here, unless he's just going to make some giant money somewhere, and if that's the case - good on him. Go make your money, king. Wherever you are going. 

I'm so looking forward to not working Monday. This whole week has been bananas. Absolute bananas. And I'm sort of over it. I said to a colleague today that honestly, if I thought I could get a job that is 100% remote, and pays what I get, I'd probably take it. I don't like feeling this way. I don't like dreaming about work. I don't like trying to fall asleep and not being able to because I'm thinking about work. And I'm out of tylenol PM.

Here's Phineas to bless your eyes today. Sleeping with his eye open, giving you a blep.

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

8:30am: 144
5:15pm: 172
9:30pm: 155

food:

coffee, water
noon: metformin; grilled cheese (2 slices of colby jack), turkey, big fat slice of tomato, 2 slices of 647 bread
2:30pm: bowl of yogurt w/cup of granola
6:30pm: 3 chicken thighs, grilled with a marinade of honey mustard, garlic, lemon, parsley, kung pao broccoli from Aldi
8pm: metformin+jardiance
white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment