Saturday, August 19, 2023

The last real day of vacation

Today is the last full day we're here. Checkout of the hotel tomorrow morning and straight to the airport. 

I'm relieved to be going home. I miss Doug and Geoff and I miss that little dog. I'm tired of helping with her things. I just want to do my things, things I need to do. Things I'd rather be doing that isn't this. 

I remembered to set an alarm to check into my flight for tomorrow. I almost wish it was today. Almost. 

Happy to be having a little time with Jess though. I messaged last night to ask if they wanted to come down, and they said it sounded great. I told them I miss them, and the reply was "Ma, you saw me Monday."

Yeah, I know. But I do miss them. Not sure when the next get together is. Probably the funeral for my dad on Long Island when my sister and I can get our shit together and book that.  It was top of the list this week but got pushed down. 

Right now though I feel like we can make the call to the church next week. There's nothing on their website that is helpful. So a phone call will have to happen. 

This week here was rainy and humid, hot and horrible. Today it is crisp and clear, still hot but sunny and pleasant. I'm thinking of all the families who are packing up to go home to wherever today, after five straight days of yuck weather. And the families driving in tomorrow to start their week of vacation. 

The season is almost at an end here, a couple more weeks with kids not in school and then September is still always super nice so folks without kids will get their week or perhaps just a long weekend. 

I kind of wish I had a beach house to just go to and sit on a porch, or a kayak and close proximity to the bay. Today would be that day, I tell ya. 

We went to mom's again, got there around 2pm and I had called before we got there and gave her "permission" to go to lunch without us. 

She misunderstood that we wanted her to go first and we'd catch up. But we had so much work to do and skipped out on the date. 

We worked on cleaning the porch for 2 hours and still have more work to do. Jess came down and went to the restaurant and met up with Shirley who was mad that we didn't come to lunch, and let everyone know it. Sorry. We were so busy and caught up with getting things done, not a slave to the lunch clock as it were. 

After finishing up there, we met up with Alex and went out to dinner, had a great time and conversation. We anticipated an hour wait for a table at the little place we picked (revisited from last year) but they took us right in. Dinner was great, and we got a short walk afterward followed by some ice cream. 

I wanted to resist, but they had soft serve and I'm a sucker for it. Sorry blood sugar. As you can see in the digits below. 

We need to go over early tomorrow and tidy up the last of the paperwork and give her written instructions on some things she needs for meetings. My flight is around 1pm, and Linda is going to drop me off and continue home. I think Jess is going to hang around the beach here and relax, and head home late. Tomorrow's a big day. Sigh. 

Here's another picture. 


digits

exercise: 8/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

10am: 189
5pm: 151
11pm: 253

food:

coffee, water
10am: protein shake
2pm: metformin; protein chips+hummus
6:30pm: clam chowder, crispy fish & chips; hard seltzer
8:45pm: soft serve ice cream and sprinkles
9:30pm: metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment