Saturday, December 16, 2023

The Rhode Island Angel

Jess called me today from Rhode Island. They left their wallet at grandma's house when they went over for a little side quest there. 

Doing so, they realized gas was needed for the car, and stopped to fill'er up. No biggie, we live in the future where you tap your phone on shit and stuff gets paid for. No wallet, no problem.

But their google pay/phone tappy dealie wouldn't work at all. They went to another gas station and same. Again elsewhere. Called me to see if they could put my Cap1 card on their google pay thingie, in case the problem was their account somehow, and it wouldn't go through - just was spinning into oblivion. The girl at the cashier said they couldn't punch in a credit card number manually into the system, they weren't allowed to do that, so if you try to pay with any sort of method other than cash at this point, you wouldn't be able to pay. And see first paragraph. 

A lady at the gas station found a scratch ticket with 5 bucks on it in her car and gave it to Jess, which managed to get about 20 miles worth of gas into the tank, and they were over 50 miles away from home base at Old Folks Land. Super kind gesture but according to the gas prediction thingie on the dashboard, they only got up to 30 miles out of this kindness. 

Knowing they were on the brink of freaking out, I called my friend Alex who lives in Rhode Island, about a half hour away from the place where technology fails to work. Alex was actually at his office, even closer, and immediately said he'd go rescue the stranded traveler. Within 20 minutes he was there and the car was gassed up. 

Jess was exceptionally pissed because the future, where we live, sucks when technology will not work and we are so tied into it. Trying to get ahold of Google to find out what was going on with Google Pay absolutely impossible. Was the problem in Rhode Island, in the interwebz, was it Jess' phone, her bank. Why would none of this work?  They've never ever had a problem with this. And then to find out that the cashier couldn't even manually run my card was an extra level of frustration. 

So thank you RI Angel, dear heart. And thank you to all the friends in the world I have who can and will help my family. I've been rescued before while stranded (oy, Blizzard, Rte 1, something blew up in our car and it flooded with smoke... Amy M came to get us IN A BLIZZARD!!!!) and I'll never forget C taking my brand new, not yet fully vaccinated puppy when I had to make an emergency trip to Western Pennsylvania for a funeral. There are dozens more examples of me picking up the phone or texting someone and saying "hey, so there's a problem and I could use some help if you're free."

I'm a lucky person, and I know it. 

I asked for photographic evidence of the rescue and they obliged.

Digits below.

digits 

exercise11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Somehow missed 8pm but thought I was totally there... 6000+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

8:30am: 167
4:15pm: 171
11:30pm: 174

food:

coffee, water, hot tea
11am: ham and cheese sandwich on Keto bread
1pm: Metformin
2pm: BLT salad
6pm: grilled wings with buffalo sauce and hot spicy korean sauce, potato salad, chex mix, tater tots (only about 6), 3 beers 
7pm: Metformin
9pm: hot peppermint tea w/lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment