Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Witching Hours

Boy update:
I neglected to mention, but Geoff started a new job on Monday. He has a part time job at the hospital just south of us, walking distance. He's getting his foot in the door. And I'm hoping the foot is joined by his other foot and his whole ass. 

Orientation was online on Monday from 9am to 6pm. A lot of orienting. And yesterday he went in for more meetings and to meet his boss and colleagues. He is learning the hospital medical records system that Doug used to train users on at a big hospital in Boston where he once worked. So the two of them were chatting about the tool and don't hit the back button.... I guess that'll result in horrific things. 

Very happy for him to get this job, and to be set up for success after so many months of searching.


Dog update:
I really should record this. This Dog is bananas at about 5pm nightly, right after dinner. Doug is on a conference call and he's presenting, and this giant monster is absolutely tearing around like Mario Andretti taking turns at top speed. I hope she's not being too annoying for him. 

She is kind of learning "where's your toy!?" and sort of getting it to give me. She wants to play tug of war, and I don't want the toy to rip to shreds, so I let her have it. 

Today I learned she's obsessed with flying things. We have had some pantry pests lately, I have to go through the pantry and find out where they're living and coming from. I was making dinner and she was politely sitting in the kitchen. Unlike Phineas, she does not attempt to kill me on a regular basis while I am cooking. 

Suddenly, she was airborne - straight up, 3 foot vertical leap. SNAP her jaws went. It got away but she stalked it around the house hilariously.

We went outside at about 2pm today in between meetings. I don't quite trust her to be out on her own the way I did Phineas. Not sure if she'll dig, or be aggressive to someone at the fence. I think she'll be fine, Phineas was rather aggressive but he would keep his distances. She loves to chase a stick, and does not quite bring it back, but I can get it from her and throw it again. So we did that for a while, and walked around the side of the house. The bushes were full of little birdies and she went for them. 


They scattered from bush to bush and she got in and under, shaking the branches and scattering them. To seek refuge, they went to the gutter above, chirping and protesting. And again, she jumped up in the air - trying to get them. 

Not sure what her life was like as a stray but she's a straight up knucklehead here. 

She has pretty much slept through the three nights she's been here except Sunday when I took her out at 3am. It is a habit I do not want to encourage so last night and Monday I got up to pee and closed the door behind me. She sat waiting for me and then redirected nicely when I came back to bed. Kind of amazing. 

This morning she was up at 5:45, and sat there staring at me. Her bed is on the floor next to me, so I opened my eyes, looked at her, and heard her tail beating the side of the laundry basket. Whelp. I .... guess now's a good time to get up. I took her outside and she had epic zoomies, did a lot of dog business out there, fetched a stick over and over. I wanted coffee so I made her come in so I could get my zoomies started. 

Today was a long ass day. I'm ready for bed at 9pm. She's fast asleep. And we'll do it again tomorrow. I asked Doug if he can be the person who gets up in the morning with the "baby" and he said "maybe?" 

So we'll see what happens tomorrow. Until then, and zoomies in the future, digits below. 









digits 

exercise12/12 hours of 250 steps.  no dedicated 10. and 5300+ steps by publish.

blood glucose:

7am: 191
5pm: 173
9:30pm: 210 

food:

coffee, water
11am: roast beef and havarti on keto bread; metformin
12noon: trail mix
5:45pm: pork loin + mashed potatoes (and a 2nd helping)
6:30:Metformin+jardiance


No comments:

Post a Comment