Monday, September 21, 2026

Camper Trailer RV whut

While we were out on our Guster/Avett adventures, Doug went to Hershey PA to an RV show. 

A little back story - Doug has wanted a vehicle for trips/camping/etc for a super long time. Kind of a dream for him. He started an e-Trade account and started socking money in there and we called it the Camper Van Fund. 

Personally, I do not want an RV. I hate them. I hate the idea of driving a house around. If you want to go camping, fucking GO CAMPING and if you're old and hate sleeping on the ground like me, upgrade your GEAR. 

I am not a fan of being on the highway with a house on wheels blocking up a lane because it isn't powerful enough to go up the mountain. I do not like watching people try to back into places with a building that they don't know how to drive. 

Also, when I see the insides of these things, I'm often confused. Honey, why are you leaving your house when you have a full size kitchen, 42 inch TV, 6 beds... rent an air BnB if you need that much space for vacation. If you need to "get away from it all," try getting away from it all. If you are bringing all the comforts of home, stay home.

Camping, being outdoors, to me (and hell if I'm some sort of idiot for feeling like this) should be a little spartan. I don't understand you if you have a leather sofa that seats 8 with recliners and cup holders and built in USB chargers. 

Over the years, I've softened my stances on a lot of things and become more "you do you, Pikachu" about personal life choices. It is no skin off my rosy nose, to steal from Stephen Colbert, if you do XYZ.

But holy fuck, RVs, man. No. 

I agree with Doug that we want to go places and do things, and because I am a princess and I prefer nice hotels to cheap nasty hotels (ahem, Willcox AZ) he sometimes gets ornery when I dig my heels in on accommodations and I don't just grab something cheap off Trivago or Travelocity. Cheap. You may save some bucks but.... cheap.

So if we had a vehicle, and could stay somewhere AT a thing instead of a hotel NEAR a thing, it would be nice. 

We have not been in agreement on the kind of thing though. I always felt, and still do, that a camper van is sufficient. Not a pop-up trailer but an actual van.

He thinks it'll be too small. And they do not have potties, so he wants some sort of trailer dealie. 

He doesn't want a GIANT thing that you need a V8 pick up truck to pull and also does not want House On Wheels, but, he wants something bigger than a camper van, that you can tow with a car. A good car. With power in the engine. 

He would like something that you park at the campground, detach the car, and then you can drive into town or go off road or have fun, without your trailer. And you can't do stuff like that with a camper van. Driving your camper van into downtown to go to the brewery is stupid. Park the trailer, take the car.

So he came back with a bunch of brochures and looked at a lot of stuff. He said there are things out there that I'll like for sure that are not giant trailers and all that. And he's right. There are tow campers that will work with a car and whatnot that are a good size but not gigantic. 

We also disagree on pooping.

He wants an actual toilet with the thing that you can pump out and not a "cassette" toilet. I feel like... Oh my GOD do not put a toilet 5 feet from where my head is and I'm sleeping. Pick campgrounds with decent non-primitive bathrooms and let's do that. I do not want a shitter right next to my face.

Now, mind you, I do enjoy not having a long way to go to poop. There is nothing worse in life than having to poo and you wake up from a dead sleep and it is an urgency. Currently, I have to walk down a flight of stairs when I wake up, and find myself in this position, and I do not like it. It is even worse when I wake up and Geoff is in our bathroom taking a shower and then I have to walk all the way down to his bathroom to go. 

I still would rather have the ability to not shit next to the bed, thank you very much.

Doug also said that camper vans are stupid expensive. 200k! for a VAN!? I told him that by the time we pick a car or SUV to tow a camper trailer and then buy the camper trailer, do you not think it is going to be close to 200k then? 

There's a lot. There is a lot to consider. And there's time for us to consider this. I'll see about posting links later to the trailers that look "doable" in my mind, that would match Doug's vision. 

Digits below these 2 pictures that I just got tonight. One is a group shot and one is me, sharing cupcakes but also being a clown. 



digits

exercise: 12/12 hours. Treadmill lunchtime run, 30 min/2.18 mi; Treadmill walk (pouring out) 35 min/1.84 mi; 13k+ steps by bedtime (trying to make up for yesterday)

blood glucose: 

8:30am: 122
4:30pm: 191
10pm: 150

food & meds:

8:30am: jardiance & new meds
1:30pm: 2 pb & low sugar j sandwiches on 647 white bread
2pm: met+glip
4:46pm: new meds; last banana muffin
6pm: chicken & rice mix by Geoff w/ some sour cream added
7:30pm: met & glip, ramekin of trail mix from ronnie
white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment