Sunday, September 27, 2026

Falling for False Fall

Doug went to the used bookstore this morning, and I asked him to stop in at Aldi to get stuff for the slow cooker. I wanted a pot roast. 

"If I also get pie crusts, will you bake a pie?" he asked.

"Absolutely, I sure will."

While he was at the market, I wanted to take Toffee for a walk, It was ever so slightly raining out, and don't you know she is made of sugar and she will melt and die. 

I was surprised when she willingly went with me and didn't just stand on the porch looking out with disdain. 

After about 10 minutes it changed from ever so slightly raining to really starting to come down rain so we turned around and came home. 

I set up the pot roast and have to admit, Doug is usually the pot roast setter upper. I had no idea what I was doing, but basically, he got a gianormous piece of meat, I grilled it on the grill for 10 min per side, slathered in salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I took a piece of seared edge off to taste and really would not have minded eating the whole thing (cooked a little more, naturally). 

Carrots, onions, celery, one of the jalapeƱo peppers from our neglected garden, thyme, greek oregano, parsley, a big can of diced tomatoes, a quarter cup of red wine vinegar. 

Crock pot - set and running. 

After a couple hours, it was pie time. We had gone to the orchard yesterday and got a bag of "eatin'" apples and a bag of "bakin'" apples. I took a dozen of the baking apples out, peeled and diced them up. I always cut things in different sizes. Sometimes they are small diced bits and other times they are long lengthy bits. I tossed that all in vanilla and lemon juice. Then I threw in a mix of white and brown sugar, a little bit of flour, a lot of cinnamon, and boom. 

I have no problem with store bought pie crust. Don't come at me. Quite a while ago here in the blog I mentioned I wanted to make my own crust but.... meh. 

I feel like that will take too long, so. Store means pie before my attention span wears out. 

Today was a day for falling for false fall. It is cold and dreary, the leaves have not changed yet, but she feels like flannel long sleeves, and hiking boots replacing Teva sandals. 

The pot roast took forever, and the pie was delicious. And I bet any amount of money, some of the days in October will hit about 80 degrees again. I will put the monstera out on the patio to enjoy those last warm days. 

False fall is a tease of things to come, and I embraced it today. 

Digits below. 


digits

exercise: 12/12 hours. Toffee walk, 15 min/.67 mi; treadmill run 20 min/1.46 mi. 11k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

7:45am: 101
4:45pm: 121
11:30pm: 197

food & meds:

7:45am: jardiance & new meds
1pm: 2 celery sticks w/pb, met+glip
2:30pm: 2 slices of the "seedtastic" bread from Aldi w/pb & low sugar j
3:45pm: new meds
8pm: met+glip; pot roast; slice of apple pie w/carb smart vanilla ice cream
red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment