Wednesday, September 16, 2026

paperweight

When we were at Doug's mom's, she foisted some things upon us that we just said "yes" to. One of those items is this giant paperweight that she referred to as a doorstop. 

I could see that. It is huge. I took some pictures of it, probably should have used a paperweight holder to put it at an angle to get the shots but I used cookbooks to make it stop rolling about. I will post below. And the pictures do not do the size justice. You need to be here and behold it. 

Doug's dad used to buy things at auction or see things at sales and buy them. So mom has a lot of stuff she's at a loss about. Not worthy of throwing away but goodwill or savers or anything - they're not going to want it. No one is going to buy it.

Unless they are some weirdo like my kid, who buys weird stuff at savers. They are notorious for this as ... well.... They are Grandpa's baby after all.

So mom has been left with some really weird things. A lot are in boxes, in the garage, storage, and at some point maybe I'll be able to convince her that I'm her willing heart and hands to build shelves and plastic storage bins and help organize all of these things. 

But items like this always make me wonder. Who are these people in the picture? Obviously they are very dead by now... What was their story, though? Two sisters and a brother. A special occasion that deserved being immortalized in a paperweight.

Faces lost to history. Names lost to time.

There's a blog I read, The Bloggess, and she has a collection of vintage photos that she finds and then she does research to figure out who the people are. I am always fascinated by what she learns. Please go and read this entry about how she inherited a murder mystery. This is good stuff. 

Forensic research. Dogged determination. I absolutely respect and admire it. 

Another thing we have a few pieces of are ruby red carnival glass from places like the World's Fair or Atlantic City, where people could have their names scraped into the paint/color of the glass. 1901. Who is this person? What is the story? How did this piece end up in an antique shop outside Baltimore and why do we own it now because Doug buys stuff like this. 

He is his father's son. And I should take some pictures of those. They are very pretty and I should photograph them in the sunlight. 

Today was a pretty good day. I started the day with a check in with my PCP after the hospitalization, so there wasn't anything really to talk about. She's orderig a bunch of back-up bloodwork and urine test so I'll get that done Friday before we go down to the Guster/Avetts weekend. 

I had a great check in with our department head and a very personal and meaningful 1:1 with my manager. I'm lucky to have both of them above me in the leadership. Geoff went to the market after he got home from work, got a ton of food for the next few days. He's at hotel tomorrow and I think (hope) that when Linda gets here tomorrow we can go over to the pub and maybe be stupid and do karaoke? Maybe? 

We shall see. 

anyway, digits below these pictures of mystery and some closeups of the design. 


digits

exercise: 12/12 hours.  Treadmill run, 20 min/1.45 mi. 10k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

7:30am: 122
5pm: 127 
10pm: 82 (checked 3 times, all very low readings 82 was the highest) 

food & meds:

7:30am: jardiance & new meds
1:30pm: quesadilla w/tuna fish; met+glip
3pm: new meds
6:30pm: piece of chicken parm
7pm: met+glip
white wine w/zero sugar cranberry 
10pm: couple handfuls of m&ms 

No comments:

Post a Comment