Thursday, September 03, 2026

The Strait of Hormuz Only... in My Bowels

I was released from the hospital this afternoon, and everything shows that no one knows why this happened, what happened, and heck, they don't know if it will happen again. 

Suffice to say, I'm going to be paying incredibly close attention to my belly. This was weird, unexpected, and fucking annoying. I hated it, and do not recomend.

Thank God no surgery was needed, and whatever it was indeed was taken care of by the barium contrast they had me drink. May I never have to do this again. May none of you ever have to do this, ever.

The surgeon and his residents came to see me yesterday, before the contrast X-ray tests. He described what he saw on the CT scan as a "kink" in a hose, and that there could be "just a blockage" or an actual adhesion. We'd know more after the X-rays. 

I made a joke about my bowel being the Strait of Hormuz, and there's a blockage there, as we all know the history of right now, and we need to deal with and resolve with diplomacy. 

He caught right on, and said "yes. A diplomatic solution! We don't want boots on the ground in this situation so let's see how the X-ray negotiations work." 

A couple of his residents thought this was hilarious. He had a very wry smile, and I could tell that he was okay to make dark jokes with him in this situation. 

Dark humor is how I deal with all of this kind of shit. No pun intended. And he picked up the vibe.

At about 7:30am, they brought me more clear liquids, after the surgical resident put in that I could go on regular food. So I drank the chicken broth, ate the jello. Passed on the other things. 

Then, at about 10:30am a regular breakfast came, late, but it came. I've never been so happy to eat cold pancakes, cold scrambled eggs, and cold bacon. It was utter joy. And to be honest, it tasted fine. I'm sure if it was served warm at the 8am service time it would have been amazing. 

Still. Damn, good to eat this. 

The X-rays came back clear. When the surgeon and all the residents came back to see me he said a "celebratory lunch" needed to be consumed in order for us to be sure that all negotiations over the Strait of Hormuz were in place and regular shipping business can resume. I thanked him for using such great diplomacy. I pointed out that I literally just ate breakfast. He said that was fine unless I really didn't want it. 

No, I want it. Your girl is hunnnnnnngry after all the diplomacy we just did to open up the Strait of Hormuz. 

Lunch came at 12:30, open face roast beef with some mashed potatoes and broccoli. It was very tasty but I could have skipped the bread in the open faced sandwich part. It wasn't toasted so it was mushy. I ate around it. I enjoyed the mashed potatoes. 

The surgical team came back to check on me to make sure I pooped, I did. I let the world know it. 


The regular floor doctor came to see me too and we had a discussion about what happened. I asked him, "So please tell me, what the hell happened? What on earth was this? Is it going to happen again?" He said he has no idea why it happened, how it happened, and if it would happen again but we know some warning signs. Like I didn't feel good on Monday? Yeah.

They signed off on releasing me, Doug came and got me. I am so happy to be home. Toffee was so happy for me to be home. 

Home. 

I was a little more than disappointed that no one loaded the dishwasher or did anything since Tuesday night when I ... loaded the dishwasher and whatnot. Disgruntled, I did that and Doug went out and mowed the lawn in the 90+ degree heat. 

Okay. I wouldn't trade that. Glad he did that. 

I also made dinner, and whined that we didn't have wine, so he went out and got me some. 

Not mad. Not mad at all. Happy he knos how to read a room.

Linz and I talked for a couple hours, and I did steps around the house but didn't hit the treadmill. Just internal steps. I'll get back on my bullshit tomorrow.

My boss basically ordered me to take tomorrow off, and I already have Tuesday off. We thought about canceling our trip to see Doug's mom, but we are going to go after all. 

Weird to have such a long bit of time off, and for ... weird reasons. But I'm not complaining. I'll take it. 

Digits below.



digits

exercise: 7/12 hours (fitbit battery was dead, charged up and got it going once home). Walking in the house, 30min/1.24 mi.  7k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

6am: 138
4:45pm: 153
11pm: 100 

food & meds:

food is a blur, I had liquid diet (chicken stock) then pancakes/eggs/bacon
12:30pm: open face meatloaf sandwich, mashed potatoes, broccoli, grapes
7:30pm: 2 bowls of tuna casserole
8:45pm: met+glip
white wine
9:30pm: 2 blueberry muffins, homemade with love

No comments:

Post a Comment