Sunday, November 27, 2022

Big Damn Heroes, Sir

It was pouring rain out today, but eased up a bit, enough for Geoff to want to take a walk. As he opened the door, two young boys (about age 10-12, I'd guess) came running up our steps.

"There's smoke coming out of the bushes at the side of the house. I think the house is on fire," one of them says breathlessly. 

I threw my shoes on, and Geoff went down the walkway with the boys. As I was grabbing my coat, I realized they were going to my neighbor's house, the neighbor who came here for coffee and brekkie about this time last year. He's traveling for work, but I think someone is staying at the house. Maybe.

So I was relieved my house and bushes weren't on fire, okay great. The rain had picked up again, and I'm still in my PJ pants and my Guster Citgo Sign t-shirt on, with my shoes untied, and I see what they saw. 

It was a vent.

All three of them were on the sidewalk, they didn't dare come up to the house, which surprised me because Geoff mows his lawn and it isn't like he's scared to go investigate. I told the boys to come with me up the driveway and take a look. 

"You're seeing some science here, guys," I said. "This is a laundry vent, and it is steam coming out of the laundry as the clothes are drying, but, it's also hot air so it is hitting the bushes here," I pushed the bush back from the side of the house and the steam lessened greatly. "The heat from the vent is hitting the bush, and evaporating the water so it looks like, a lot." 

The boys came closer to look, as I let the bush go back to the wall, and the steam increased greatly after a minute. 

They were amazed. 

"We thought it was a fire coming out of the side of the house," one said.

"I've seen that kind of steam coming off our house too, so that's the dryer?" 

Yes, it is the dryer.

I told them that they were big heroes, because they came to get us, and if it had been a fire my phone was in my hand, at the ready, to call for help. 

Both of them looked a little ashamed, or embarrassed that they thought it was a fire. We started walking down the driveway back to the street.

"I'm really sure he would have been so happy that you caught this and his house was indeed on fire, he would be so thankful," I told them. "You didn't do anything wrong or foolish by coming to get us. I'm so proud of you."

They seemed relieved, and I asked their names. They told me and I thought about going on NextDoor.com to post about how wonderful I thought they were, but I left it. Not everything has to go online. But here I am telling you. Ha. 

I should have gone to Target today to get dishwasher tablets but .... it was raining, and my neighbors house was not on fire, and football. 

Back to work tomorrow, horrifyingly so. Meh. I want another week of Guster concerts, Linda, and shenanigans.

Digits below. No picture today, lads.




digits:

exercise: dedicated 10+6 (at 9:30ish PM, better late than never!)

blood glucose:
9:30am: 185
5pm: 221
9:30pm: 238

food:
coffee, water
11am: Turkey, cranberries, mayo on Farmhouse oat bread
12pm: a lil'more turkey and cranberries; Metformin
2pm: apple cider+spiced rum
5pm: 2 large pieces of celery with peanut butter
6pm: jardiance+metformin
7:30pm: 2 bowls of turkey soup w/tiny corn muffin in each one
8pm: apple cider+spiced rum

No comments:

Post a Comment