Saturday, November 12, 2022

Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Everywhere

But first coffee. 

We slept with the windows open last night again. Bliss... Until someone was standing outside at 3 am on the corner smoking a butt. Dude to stand in front of your house. Please.

Anyway. It is warm enough here right now that it was fine to do so and will probably be tonight as well. A world of difference temperature wise from New England, except I understand it is in the 70s up there today too. So enjoy it all you Northern Friends! 

I kind of want it to stay like this through Thanksgiving. Thinking of the patio, fun out there. Yaaaas.

Phin woke up at 6 to do things, I fed him and we were  wide awake, but not ready to be awake awake. Hell, it's Saturday for cryin' out loud. Why can I wake up at 6am on a Saturday but Mon-Fri I am struggling to get my face off the pillow. 

We headed to the guest room, the blinds were up, windows open. Phineas jumped on the ottoman at the foot of the bed to jump in with me.  He watched out the windows, listened to the sounds and the birds, growled at someone riding a bike. High alert. We fell back asleep until about 9.

Doug was already up, hanging out in the living room, drinking coffee in the quiet. We spent a little time just drinking coffee, playing our games on our phones. It got to be about 10:30, so he went downstairs to fill out an application form for the job he's supposed to be moving into (he interviewed for it, she said "you're hired" so now it's paperwork backfill). So, this is good. More on that later. But this is good.

I started cleaning when he went downstairs. Spotify playlist of all kinds of Patsy Cline, Webb Pierce, Buck Owens, Jean Shepard, Sure, why not. Tears in our beers and Saturday morning hangover palace, "There Stands The Glass," which I know every word to. Good cleaning music, mindless, and makes me feel like my life is balanced and organized. Old country songs have a way of doing that.

Geoff went out to mow and mulch the leaves, We have a bunch of things upstairs here that I sent downstairs with instruction to "just put them down there," and I'll deal with where they should go later. The dining table is clear. Junk mail, gone. Grocery store fliers into a paper bag for bonfire startings. 

I found a document Doug had been looking for. A retirement statement from a job he had when we first moved here with a small, nice balance, and instructions on how-to roll it over into something else. We have an Ameriprise account so he's going to dig into that and see what it takes. 

Or hell, it's 2k just cash that shit out. Who cares. Let's party!

Lost money that is found is a good thing. Whether in a jacket pocket or a letter from a retirement agency. Lost money is fun.

Here are other notes from things completed today:

  • I found a stick blender/chopper in a box that I had been meaning to unpack. I had been looking for it for a while. When I tried to put it together, it seemed that there was something wrong, the attachments didn't fit. They didn't go down into the body of the blender - there was this big stupid plastic piece in the way. I got the whisk part to go in, but the chopper, no can do. I went online thinking maybe I had another hand blender once upon a time, and this chopper piece was from that one, maybe? Nope. The internet told me that what I had was right. I futzed with it, twisted the part that prevented anything from going down - it came off, and now everything is perfect. Hot damn. Woo hoo. Tiny victories.
  • I also found this super duper old pie slice server I have been searching for.
  • Maybe someday I'll find the sangria pitcher I  packed when we lived up the road! Maybe. But now I'm kind of really feeling like I'm on a winning streak. Maybe I'll find it!
  • I swept under the table below the TV. Lots of Phineas hair there. I am looking at it now, and it could use a go-over once more. 
  • Dining table, clear.
  • Coffee table, started.
  • Unpacked a box, repacked it - stuff from Doug's mom. Pink and Green depression glass. Lovely, nowhere to display it, back into storage. 
  • Pondered where the really nice candy jars in this pink and green might be. Doug loves them - but we haven't seen them since we moved. They were on a shelf with the Sangria pitcher. Maybe they're together, wherever in the basement.
  • Moved some books around on the bookshelves. Making room for treasures because I'm finding them. 
  • Eyeballing the dog kennel to get it out of the living room and into the basement. 
To do still:
  • Clean out the kitchen drawers. Make room for that hand mixer you found! And the cheese slicer! Treasures!
  • Figure out how to get the large flat tray back into the refrigerator. Find the little end-caps to the sliders that fell off - and get that thing back in there.
  • Figure out the BBQ tools. Where to store them since they're not being used just about every day.
  • Top of the fridge. Clean it. More storage up there if things are organized!
  • What's all this on top of the cabinets? Ooooooo. More treasures. Use Geoff's tallness to organize up there.
  • Sweep, mop, vacuum. 
  • Sheets, washed and rotated, winter blanket out for Linda (she's always cold).
  • Finish the puzzle. 
  • More stuff down to the basement that does not need to be up here in our faces. 
  • Hang those wicker things on the dining room wall that Doug's mom gave us, finally.  
  • Clean the bar, organize it. 
  • Order little plate stands for a couple things that don't have display yet.
  • Tidy guest room.
My cleaning style is that I never focus on cleaning one place at a time. I'm literally all over the place. One room to the next. So things end up all half cleaned or 3/4 cleaned, but never fully. I am not good at this.  I never have been good at this. Take these things to my bedroom, oh look, something to read and throw out, some little boxes of doo-dads, sort? Yes sort. Walk to kitchen. Oh, dishwasher? oh this, oh that.... Not really a style but more of a problem. I can never get anything done.

I'm just literally walking in circles and moving stuff around, but not really doing the best job of doing it right and organized. 

I do feel like I got a lot done today though with more to come.

This was in my facebook memory feed today and I laughed super hard. This was an exchange between me and my friend Amy when she was looking for a new cat about 8 years ago. 


Digits:

exercise: house cleaning

blood glucose:
9am: 190
5pm: 204
10pm: 160

food:
coffee, water
10am: 2 good berry yogurt
12:30pm: several slices of lunch meat ham (just to get it out of the way)
12:45pm: metformin
3pm: peanut butter and jelly on 647 bread
5:30pm: nachos. chips, cheese, sour cream, avocado spread
10pm: small ramekin of nuts








No comments:

Post a Comment