Saturday, November 05, 2022

Sorry, Friday. Welcome to Saturday

I had another extremely busy day at work Friday, so relieved it's the weekend but my brain won't turn off. I keep thinking about things and how to do them, or do them better. I tried to fall asleep last night but visions of data modules and panic on presentations went through my head. Horrible. so horrible. 

 This all comes from this time every other year when there's an election. I had a couple calls with clients who are in a panic about these digital embeds for their websites, or how to use this new live blog feature, and so we've been tag-teaming them to do hour long calls to walk through. We did 4 of them. I have 2 more Monday. 

Sometimes I can explain repeatedly how to do something in writing, and people just do not get it. Visual learners unite. Let's walk through it on a screen share together. Here, B or T, please take this ticket and arrange a screen share with this guy I cannot deal with him any longer.

Upside of things is I took time yesterday to meet with to two people who are new to our project, but no one has done any "introduction." I think it should be a  manager's job to send out an email, encourage people to reach out. I've heard from new hires that they feel lost, abandoned, alone, what with the vast majority of us working at home. We need to do more to connect. 

Both of them were happy to connect with people on the team and have a chat. Non-work chat mostly! One of them lives in Wyoming or Idaho or something, and we talked about "news deserts" where small papers and radio stations used to exist.  Those have been bought out by big conglomerates and Christian broadcasters. I love Jesus and all that but I don't understand the buy every radio station broadcast license and play the same program across  8 frequencies. 

Well, actually I do understand it. I just think it is rude and a huge mistake. My thoughts and feelings about getting the Word  and/or Message out have changed over time. Anyway. 

Another colleague lives in Brooklyn, loves Mike Birbiglia almost as much as I do and just saw his new show on Broadway the other night. So we fan-girled hard over him. She also really loves high school and collegiate a cappella and musical theater. Nice. She didn't like Hadestown, and I did. Well, I like the soundtrack. I like Anais Mitchell. And the tiny desk for Hadestown is pretty great. Her husband is going to see Guster the day after thanksgiving in NYC (her best friend is in town so they're doing a girls' nite).

 With all the busyness of business lately, it was a joy to spend some time getting to know some people. 

By the time 7:30pm rolled around I had finally almost caught up. I still have some things to do, mostly helpdesk ticket replies and a few emails. 

Doug put on the last 2 episodes of the Cabinet of Curiosities, which we both found disappointing (one was so dull we didn't finish watching. we were tired of nothing happening) The second I wanted to see what happened but he pretty much bitched that he wanted to turn it off). I got my way but he was right. It didn't pan out. I didn't like the ending, it wasn't what I wanted. Boo. I won't spoil it for anyone reading who may watch the series. 

Overall, excellent content. Gotta say it was enjoyable. So not a total loss. 

Then we saw a commercial for the Weird Al movie. I said "oh, we should watch that. It was 10pm. Doug put it on. I protested, I wanted to go to bed, damnit! But. We got into it and I am very glad we did.

It was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Daniel Radcliffe plays Weird Al, which is hilarious because he's like 7 inches shorter than the real life Al. Again, I won't spoil anything for anyone, but holy cow - if you like Weird Al, watch it. If you don't know anything about his rise to stardom, watch it. If you don't care but want to see some dumb cameos and pretty decent ridiculous acting, watch it. 

I enjoyed it greatly. 

Today, as of this writing (approx 12:30pm), Doug is studying for this certification test he's going to take tomorrow morning. 

He could take it proctored online, but they have all these rules about seeing the space you're going to take the test in to make sure you don't cheat. You can't have anyone walk through the room while you are testing, and he basically sits where Geoff has to walk through to get to his room. Not a big deal, Geoff could hang out up here, but it is a three hour test. Booo. 

So he opted to do it in person. He has to be there at 8:30am and the testing center is right by a brewery we like. I was kind of disappointed, I wished it was later, I'd go to the brewery when it opens at noon, wait for him to come over. Or heck, I could run errands, go to target, drive around a town I've never been to, catch some Pokemon or whatever. But three hours is so long to futz about. I will stay home. I have a dining table to clean, and a lot of dog hair underneath this table thing that I can see from here. And I can vacuum, he won't be here to complain. 

We're being very quiet right now. All the windows are open, it's wonderfully pleasant. Phin and I are sitting on the couch being quiet. We are listening to some beep beep beep alarm going off in one of the houses in the neighborhood. If I had some music on, it wouldn't be noticeable. 

I folded laundry. I gathered up a bunch of trash that was on the bedroom floor (our bedroom trash basket had overflowed - nothing dirty or gross, it just needed to be emptied out so it was. 

Ha. 

I didn't do anything today, with Doug studying and then I took a snooze with Phin, I guess I missed out on today. We had most of the day with no power tools and equipment being used, until now. There's hammering and leaf blowing and a saw going across the street now. 

Geoff went to the market to grab something for dinner for us. Doug takes his test in the morning and told me that if he passes, we'll go celebrate. 


digits for Friday and Saturday

Friday

exercise:

blood glucose:
9am:183
5pm:153
11pm:198

food
coffee, water
9:15am: 2 good berry yogurt
1pm: chicken salad in low carb fajita wrap; metformin
6pm: chicken breast mexican style ( bacon, spices, cheese, etc) Wine
7pm: metformin+jardiance
8:30pm: ramekin of mixed nuts. More wine


Saturday:

exercise:

blood glucose:
9:30am: 192
4:30pm: 155
xpm

food
coffee, water
11:30am: 2 slices of rye bread heels with butter (just to get them out of the cabinet)
12:30pm: metformin
2:30pm: 2 good yogurt
4:45pm: mcintosh apple
6:30pm: metormin+jardiance; 2 hot dogs; beers
11:00 a pb sammitch before sleep

2 comments:

  1. Eliz / Rockport10:16 AM

    Mikey Bag of Donuts is the BEST! And I love his podcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to his podcast, but it is on my list. Love that guy!

      Delete