Thursday, November 10, 2022

Entertaining

We have Thanksgiving guests this year! I'm not sure if Doug is inviting his Aunt and his cousin. I expressed that they can come at Christmas, but if he invites them, they are welcome. Of course. But I'd rather. Not. 

Our friends who just moved here from Portsmouth NH are invited. I figured M+M won't want to be cooking a feast for their faces, so I invited them without asking Doug what he thought, so I informed Doug they are coming. 

Jess is coming. For the first visit here since 2019. First visit to this house that we're in for almost two years. Also, they're driving from MA to here, so ... hold them in your prayers. By age 30 Doug and I had driven all over the country but Jess has stayed very close to home. Jess will be leaving Tuesday, staying with their friend Holly in NJ, and then making the rest of the journey Wednesday. Again - hold them in your prayers. The MA to NJ thing is stressful enough. All of NJ is a challenge. Again. Hold in prayers. Again.... 

Linda is coming. I think Linda gets here on the 20th? Sunday? We are seeing Guster on Monday and Tuesday nights, I got a hotel room for both nights. Then she is staying here Wednesday, gonna do Thanksgiving with us, and drive home Friday morning. She has tickets to see Guster at Carnegie Hall in NYC and I'm opting out, because Jess is here.

See, I'm not like a total monster. 

So in theory, bolded all the humans and added Doug, Geoff, and me, and we are probably 9 people for Thanksgiving dinner at my house. I am down for it. I was going to invite our friends Sara and Sean and their son Henry but they're spending Thanksgiving at a friend's house in NJ and then going to see Guster at Carnegie Hall, so they cut their trip down to an hour from the friend to the City instead of a solid 5, or more, the day after Thanksgiving. I may see what my former boss J is up to, invite her and the boys over for dessert? Uno? Cookie Decorating? 

There are a couple of challenges ahead but I'm up for it. I have to figure out how to seat 9 people. We have a couple tables, our main dining table and then either the small 4 person table I put in our bedroom or the big long table down the basement.  

I know we have plates enough but glasses, wine glasses, I have all different sizes and shapes so it'll be a mismatch and I'm okay with that.

Tablecloths. or runners. I kind of want that. 

I have pinecones and some essential oils called Thieves which always make me feel like fall, and won't compete or conflict with the smells of the meal. 

Menu. Gotta plan a menu. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yes. My sister wants to make deviled eggs and her signature spinach balls. Carrots. I love carrots. We will probably need a turkey, and a turkey breast that we can roast while everyone is eating dinner, so we have turkey leftovers for days. Cranberry sauce. from scratch. Pie. What other sides? green beans? We'll have to talk about it. I want to make sure there is high protein available, and some non-carbs options. I mean, I am going to eat stuffing and mashed. 

We have a chafing serving setup of 3 trays. I just need sterno and tin foil trays to put in there and to decide what goes in. Hmmm.

My refrigerator needs to be tidied up and reorganized and we will need to shop. I feel like we need another fridge. It's not cold enough here usually to keep stuff outside. And we don't have the screened in porch. And there are critters!

We have a cooler, so that'll be on the porch with ice, and beer, soda, etc. I may buy another cooler.

If the weather is nice, bonfire. Yes.

I'm really looking forward to it. I know I will go overboard with preparation and food. But it's my jam. I love to throw a party. 

Work was again super busy. I worked until 9. I'm now goofing off. 

No picture, but digits below! 






digits:

exercise: Dedicated 10+5 while onions/mushrooms were sauteing.  

blood glucose:
9am: 174
5pm: 180
10pm: 243 (huh.)

food:
coffee, water
10am: peanut butter (not low sugar, we're out) and low sugar preserves on 647 bread
1:30pm: metformin; 2 chicken cluck pucks from the freezer, baked in the oven covered in melted cheddar and a schmear of mayo.
6pm: beef stroganoff, with some egg noodles.
8pm: metformin+jardiance 


No comments:

Post a Comment