Saturday, November 26, 2022

Soup's On

Jess left around 11am, and I am hoping to hear from them soon. I hope traffic was merciful this time. Not expecting a text until 10pm probably, but offered to get them a hotel room if they get to Connecticut and it is miserable and they want a break. 

I often wish my parents had made similar offers back in the day but were not in a fiscal position to do so. We can. For their safety and sanity on the road. 

A turkey is a gift meal that keeps on giving. Yesterday we had a big leftover spread with all the fixin's and then I made stock. We got about 7 quarts, but I made the mistake of adding in the turkey fat the same way I do with the chicken fat when I do stock with that bird. 

The soup was "greasy" but flavorful. I still have about 4 quarts of the stock, so I am going to take it out of the fridge let it sit in air temp to see if  it will separate and I can skim some of the fat out. It wasn't possible right out of the fridge but it could maybe work at just room temp. 

Anyway. Didn't stop me from eating 3 bowls of the yummy but greasy soup, for sure. I still have a big bag of the stuff left over after you make the stock, Doug said he didn't think the stuff in the bag would be good but we got a huge yield of turkey meat out of that. So I can thicken the remaining stock up if I keep sifting through this to make sure I get all the wee bones out.

It's a multi day and stage process, it seems. 

Tomorrow we can have turkey sandwiches. I kept a lot of the meat that Doug cut off apart from the soup so we can have sammies, mayo, tomato, turkey on farmhouse sourdough. Can't wait. 

Here's a picture of Phineas who took over the guest bed for the afternoon after Jess left. The past few days were exhausting for him, I'm sure.

digits:

exercise: dedicated 10+13

blood glucose: all horrible numbers blessed by your friends carbohydrates and sugar!
9am: 250
5pm: 250
10pm: 287

food:
coffee, water
10:30am: 2 good yogurt, 2 eggs scrambled with cheese, bacon
12:30: metformin
2pm: corn muffin with bacon bourbon butter
6pm: 3 bowls of Turkey Soup; turkey stock, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, crushed cherry tomatoes, parsley, white rice (to try and absorb some of that fat) 3 beers (over 2 hours really)
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm: slice of pumpkin pie w/whipped topping

No comments:

Post a Comment