Wednesday, November 23, 2022

"I had a great time at Ryan Miller's 50th Birthday Party" Night 1 Guster in DC


Linda and I worked from my living room on Monday morning. My boss was surprised I was at work, but I told him I had 3 important station meetings, and I was checking out at 3:30 or whenever that last meeting was done. Doug dropped us off at the Metro at about 4pm, we got to the hotel, checked in, got our brains situated, ran to the liquor store for some wine, and pre-gamed a little before heading to the meet and greet. We had a good turn out, a few people I had not met before, which was nice. And we all headed over to the venue. 

We mostly missed the opener, which is unlike me. I always watch the opening act, but we were having a good time in the lobby mixing and talking with the friends we hadn't seen for a long while. 

Someone very famous from my office came in and we made eye contact. He greeted me by name, and I said "oh hey! I didn't know you were a Guster fan!" he said he was, and a friend of his brought him, this was his first Guster show. That was so neat. I mean. Wow. Honestly. I posted in the fan group that he was there, and people were amazed. I should have gotten a selfie! But I was trying to be cooooooool.

It was Guster's turn to come out, and we headed into our seats. Great show, excellent energy. My friend Sara's 7 yr old Henry loves me and he wanted to dance with me. He also wanted to get closer (we were decently positioned in about the 10th row). So I took him a few times down front. I eyeballed the audience and asked a couple people if it was okay for us to dance in front of them. This one older lady was sitting and she smiled and said "please do!" 

Henry and I danced up a storm, and went back to our seats. 

I got high-fives from people as we went back. It was interesting. At some shows, I think I'd feel weird or self conscious doing this but the Guster scene is a mix of dad band fans and jam band fans. 

They were getting ready to show a video on the big screen and play along with it. And Ryan starts to introduce it but the band interrupts to say they have a special video presentation for Ryan's birthday. 

They got several celebrity guests to do cameos to wish Ryan a happy birthday but most of them pretended they didn't know who Ryan was. Scarlett Johansson, John Krasinski, Will Ferrell, Jeff Garlin, Ed Robertson from BNL, and the icing on the cake, Will Forte, who has an unbearable mad passion for this band. 

They also had guest appearances by Ryan's parents wishing him a happy birthday. His mom said "Fifty years ago when you came out of my vagina..."

And the audience lost their collective shit. 

Later on Ryan says "did my mom say 'when you came out of my vagina!!??'" 

Hilarious. 

The show was amazing. And the covers section, Ryan said "it's my birthday so I'm being self indulgent." they crushed Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, Ryan's vocals were so good. Moon River! They put the lyrics on the big screen because he wanted people to sing along. And my favorite Talking Heads song ever, Naive Melody. 

The set list says it all, and usually when they do back-to-back shows in a city, there are no repeats on the set list. So. Tonight should be interesting. 

Great funny story is at the end, my sister got locked in a bathroom and couldn't get out. I checked three bathrooms for her, and fuck all if I couldn't find her. She called me on the phone for help, but my ringer was off, I'm keeping this hilarious voicemail forever. 

An employee saved her.

I mean, shit .... how funny is that! 

Digits below. Off to tonight's show (Saturday) and another update pending!


Monday digits

exercise: fitbit said 11 minutes, but close to 9k steps and a lot of it dancing, especially with Henry. I did more than that count! 

blood glucose:
8am: 207
5pm: 153
midnight: 227

food:
Coffee, water
11am: brekkie sammitch. Egg, american cheese, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 sausages, on a "skinny" bagel since Geoff could not find english muffins at Aldi (one reason to super hate Aldi all the time is who the hell does NOT have english muffins for sale?) 
12:15: metformin
2pm: small ramekin of mac & cheese with hamburger
4:30pm: pinot grigio
5:30pm-7pm ish: 3 beers, cheeseburger and a side salad, a lot of sweet potato fries
7pm: metformin+jardiance
during the concert several handfuls of popcorn

No comments:

Post a Comment