Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Scallops

I took mom to lunch today at her foodrinkery where her favorite barkeep works on Tues/Thurs/Saturday. The quality of the place has gone downhill since the new owners bought it, but, mom goes because she knows a few of the people that still work there, who didn't run away angry when the new management showed their asses to them. 

There are other places we could go if she didn't turn her nose up at them. Suit yourself lady. 

Today she surprised us all. Normally she wants a tuna boat or a hamburger off the kids' menu because it is smaller than the adult sized food. She never wants the fries - she gives them to the barkeep.

For lunch today, she wanted scallops. Gasp. 

Mom always hated seafood, she grew up on Cape Cod and hates fish, hates everything, won't eat lobster. She may eat clams once in a while but they have to be fried whole belly clams. 

Fuck scrod, fuck haddock, fuck shrimp. 

And she convinced us growing up that fish was disgusting. I didn't enjoy fish until I was in Florida with Doug long before we got married, and his grandfather went fishing and got lake fish for us. 

I wasn't very gracious about it, and Doug let me know that was rude. And yeah - it was and I still sometimes think about what a rude little shit I was at times before I learned to not be a rude little shit. 

But mom kind of raised us to voice our negative opinions when we thought something was gross rather than grin and bear it with grace and thankfulness. And who knew, I like fish. I love fish. And boy do I love scallops.

Anyway. 

The barkeep asked her if she wanted the scallop boat size/portion and she said no, she didn't want the roll. But the price difference between the scallop boat serving and the full lunch serving was five bucks. Barkeep told me she was ordering the scallop boat and she'd take the roll away and mom would never know it. Also, mom probably wouldn't eat all the scallops anyway.

There were 7 nice sized scallops on her plate and I was instantly filled with envy because I opted for a virtually zero carb lunch. I will have scallops on Thursday. 

She ate all her scallops, and she didn't want fries or coleslaw, but barkeep got her mashed potatoes and corn. Which she ate a little bit of. 

All told, a surprisingly big meal for the old lady. And then I got take away buffalo fingers to go on top of my left over salad, so I'll have the same thing for dinner as I had for lunch, just so I don't have to go out tonight for anything. 

I do need to go to the market for her, for a few things. I have procrastinated, but will probably do that tomorrow. Again, I was lectured about locking the car again today. 

This time she said that thieves are stealing hangers from the cars. 

I looked at her funny. 

"What .... hangers?" I asked, picturing pants and shirts on hangers. 

"HANGERS! HANGERS!" she yelled pointing at her handicapped placard attached to her rear view mirror. 

I wondered the other day if I was not hearing her right but for sure yesterday she was saying cameras. I didn't correct her. Sometimes she forgets the words she wants, and sometimes she insists the words that are coming out of her mouth are the right words. Then the next day, they are different words. 

This case, for sure, it was different words and now she's got the right word (sort of). No one is stealing cameras. They're stealing handicap permits. I wouldn't even call them hangers. 

She went to bed at 8pm last night, came down and locked everything up even though I told her I was probably going to do my last steps outside. I let her lock things, and then I went out and locked up after myself again when I got back. 

Around 11pm she came down to the bathroom. I was watching Law & Order SVU for some reason and working on some things for work. She waved and went back toward her room, but she turned on all the lights, weirdly. 

She keeps all the lights off most of the time. I like to keep the oven hood light on in the kitchen, especially at night, and she turns it off every time she comes to the kitchen, which turns into a quiet battle of me turning it on, her turning it off. 

When I noticed she had the dining table light, the light above the inside of the door, and the living room light on, I could not figure out what she was up to, so I went to check. 

She was walking around the living room and I asked what was up. 

"I am looking for the screen," she said.

What screen?

"The screen that goes in there," and she pointed at the intake vent for her furnace, which weirdly is in the corner on the floor. 

Oh! 

"I found it. Shirley (her neighbor) bought them for me and put them here," she gestured between the couch and the end table, "so I found them." 

Great. I'm glad you found them. Why are you looking for something like tat at 11pm? 

She shrugged, "I just thought of it just now. And then I couldn't find them. But I already moved them."

And she always says, "Ta-daaa!" at the end of some weird thing like that. 

Okay great, Ta-daaa! 

She started to shuffle back to her room and I made some music noises, like a little tune, like she's some sort of video game. Which made he laugh. She told me I am a whackadoodle. I said I was guilty as charged and asked if she liked my song. 

I asked her, do you like my song or do you like.... And I started doing Yakety Sax. Which do you like better?

She told me Yakety Sax, so. I'll sing that to her when she is puttering around. 

Back to lunch. 

We had a nice fun lunch. The barkeep brought me cucumbers from her garden and I'm super excited because I will add those to my salad dinner tonight. I wish I had a bunch of extra cherry tomatoes to go with, but. Mostly greens and my new fresh cukes. 

Her friend Sue was there, and another lady named Sandy. They were pounding down beers and I was thinking to myself jeeez I wish I didn't have to go back to work! 

Our visit was fun and nice, I'm looking forward to lunch on Thursday and I am ordering the full boatload ton and a half of scallops for lunch because heck. You have to when you are here. 

When we got back, I had a bunch of complicated work things to work on. My boss and I met for an hour to filter through what seems to be a rather enormous bug that someone brought to our attention which made him say "oh my lord," and I wanted to add "a-rama." which only Linda would know and understand. 

I took a walk after a right proper head explosion with the boss where we both just had to shake our heads and plan on getting with the devs tomorrow. 

There is a road that has a bunch of cats that live on it, and sometimes the cats come out and say hello. Tonight only one of them did, and it came over and rubbed all over me and purred like a boss. Hell yeah, cat. You just lifted my heart 20 stories high. 

Thank you, cat.

Digits below. Cat was doing winky face at me, and also let me take a picture of it with its beautiful eyes!


digits
exercise:
12/12 hours; walk 25 min/1.23. mi; another walk, 20 min/.93 mi. 10k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

8am: 116
5pm: 116
11pm: 94

food & meds:

8am: jardiance, new meds
11am: atkins peanut bar
1:30pm: buffalo chicken on salad; met+glip
5pm: half of new meds (almost out of one of them so pacing that); the last dunkin donuts donut that mom had that she has been ignoring for 2 days. white wine
8pm: the rest of the salad and buffalo fingers and a whole giant cucumber, bleu cheese dressing; met+glip

No comments:

Post a Comment