Saturday, August 15, 2026

Some more cousin time

This morning, Lin warned me the hotel coffee was no more than brown water. She said something to the lady who runs the brekkie, and the lady said she made it the same way she always does and can't explain why it was super gross. 

I volunteered to go to Starbucks. 

One cannot begin the day on little or no caffeine, right? You with me on that? 

Starbucks is doing some weird unicorn drink thing, and everyone in the place was all about pimping out the unicorn drink thing. Note, I went inside because the drive through was 20 cars deep. 

I saw them put this on the counter and I had to get a picture of it just for the message. 

"Oh look," I said, "she is so cute!"

The kids behind the counter turned around and all said some variation of "oh yes! She really IS so cute!"

Heh. She. Using She instead of It is something "the kids" do anymore so it is something I find adorable and have adopted for my own. 

Back to the hotel, I ended up on the treadmill for a while. I have not done any sort of running since that 5k thing, where what I was doing was not running, it was surviving and finishing. It felt good to get going a bit and listen to some music and ignore how many minutes were going by. 

I wanted to get a shower and get ready to head to mom's so I did 20 minutes for an easy peasy trip. 

We had a nice visit. We took her to her favorite foodrinkery. Lin and I knew we were going to be having dinner with our cousin and his wife later on, so we didn't want The Big Lunch. 

Mom ordered chicken fingers, and she usually gets the kids' size portion. I told her to get the full size and I'd eat some. Linda said the same. So between the 3 of us, we polished that off quick. I was the driver so minimal wine, and when I say 2 glasses, you know how restaurants pour wine. Cute little wee carafes and about 1/3 of a glass. 

I pour wine to the full glass because yes. That's the way to do it. 

We headed back to mom's and she was super ready for a nap. We had put laundry in the wash but didn't put it in the dryer, so I moved it over. We headed back and changed to look cute for dinner. 

B&L live in a planned community in Plymouth with single family homes, townhouses, apartments/condos. There is a restaurant and bakery, a big fire pit spot, places for games and fun. They're rly happy there. They sold their house on the cape and moved up when my aunt had to move nursing homeeals. 

Their community is full of neighbors who are all fun and very exuberant. I felt a little weird mixing in for dinner with all their neighbors but everyone was super nice.  I thought of how Doug would either be super into this or recoil a little and be introverted.

We had a great catch up. Never enough time with the cousins, I tell ya. 

Tomorrow my cousin's daughter is hosting a clam bake, and we're invited. Lin and I didn't do anything at mom's today, so we're feeling like we should both stick around and help her out with what she needs. Also, I do not see well at night for driving, and in order to not get stuck in traffic for 9 hours to go 10 miles, we would probably have to stay until after sunset. 

Hmm. 

Jury is still out on our plans. 

In the meantime, enjoy this picture of how Lin spelled "Emergency" on the little white board at mom's... 2 years ago and I just realized it. And please note, we are not correcting this. It is perfect. No notes.


digits
exercise:
12/12 hours;  treadmill, 20 min/1.48 mi. 10k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

8:30am: 122
4pm: 82
9pm: 197 (note how close to met+glip. but I'm tired and wanted to go to bed)

food & meds:

8:30am: jardiance, new meds
9am: 2 starbucks bacon gruyere egg white bites
1:15pm: met+glip; 2 chicken fingers; 2 glasses of wine
4pm: new meds
5pm: fish & chips
8pm: met+glip

No comments:

Post a Comment