Friday, August 21, 2026

Back to Camp and Walking

Thursday
I completely didn't realize today is actually Thursday. C was texting me this morning to let me know that she'd be home tomorrow evening, and I should help myself to all the things. 

Huh, what? I mean. Wait a minute. Oh yeah...

Literally there are days I don't know what day is the day. And today is one of those days. 

I feel like I've been here forever. I'm looking forward to camp, then home. Huzzah. 

We did our lunch trip to the foodrinkery and had a nice pleasant time. As always. There are people there who are always looking out for mom. We took her neighbor, and she is exceptionally caring to mom. Runs errands for her, makes her food. Just an exceptionally kind human. 

She will be helping out a lot more with mom. Which is great because mom knows her, we don't have to hire a stranger to come in and do stuff, she's already cooking meals for mom and will just continue doing that but with more frequency. 

It's a relief. Because I love my mother, but I can't come up and spend 2-3 weeks at a time all the time. 

I feel like since March/May my previous visits, she's on the decline. Cognitively, she has been doing/saying weird things. For instance, she wrote a check out for 4500 for the masonry work we're having done next week, and put 4500 in the money field, and wrote Forty Five in the field where you spell it out. So the mason had to come back and get a fresh check. One night, she woke up and was walking around the house looking for "the screen." 

What screen? I asked her. 

"The screen that goes in there" and she pointed at the vent system for the furnace. "You mean the filter?" I asked.

"No, the screen. The screen. It was right here," and she points to a space between her couch and an end table. "But someone moved it and I can't find it." 

No one moved it, mom.

S Jr. brought up 2 of them, put one into the filter slot, and stood the other one up near the filter slot. That is what she did, last week. 

"Why are you thinking about this at 11:30 at night?" (she goes to bed at like 8pm). She shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know. I was just wondering about it." 

I don't feel like she needs someone sleeping in the house all the time, but a motion detector/camera that S Jr. would get a notification on when she leaves her bedroom at night might be good.  

Her paraphasia lately has been very noticeable. 

I'll be more comfortable knowing S Jr. will be there checking up on her often, spending time with her daily. A stranger wouldn't be a good fit, I don't think. So this is helpful.

Jess got to me around 8pm and picked me up. We had a good yap driving. back and I was so happy to come into camp. We had some wine and continued to yap. It was midnight when they left and I fell asleep with great joy.

Friday
I slept a little later than I intended today, and forgot I had a 9am meeting so I made it just in time, and looked like a normal human being. Whew. We had something called sprint review today, and I subbed in for my work-son, who is living his best life on vacation with his entire family. 

Being at camp all by myself is an interesting feeling. I'm just chill. Working, but also doing stuff. Watching the hummingbirds at the feeders, drinking ALL of C's coffee (gotta get more pods!), I vacuumed, dusted, did my own laundry, did some C laundry for the bed downstairs, just an overall vibe for me today. 

I realized I have not been alone-alone other than sleeping in a bed in a hotel, since August 4th. 

The only thing missing is a dog of any sort. C's dog, my dog, any dog. 

I vacuumed, puttered around. Talked to myself. Talked to Linda, did a bunch of work things, basically had a good day. I took a walk around 4, Camp is really nice to walk at. I thought about going back and getting my bathing suit on and going to the PoolPond, it literally is that - kind of a pool, kind of a pond, PoolPond. 

C's cousin was out walking too, and we stopped and chatted for a bit. She said that all my walking has been an inspiration so she was happy to see me out. I thought that was hilarious. "Camp is soooooo good for walking!' I told her, and we laughed. It is! 

Jess wanted to get together for dinner but since I was here at happy camp with no car, I asked if they'd buy some chinese food. So they did, and miss Mol and Mr. Mol came over too, and we had a lovely catch up over lo mein noods and box wine. 

C's flight was super delayed, and I figured when she got back here she'd want to not have a house of yappers. I asked the kids if they could clear out when C texted me and they were completely unoffended. It's nice to have people who get it. The person who's house you are sitting in and having some wine and chats is gonna be wiped so get outta town!  

Jess was getting in the car after helping me clean up and get dishes running, and C pulled up so they came back in, and we did have a nice chat. 

They both were recently in Cleveland. So a lot of shared notes about their experience. 

I miss the kids already and I know I'm leaving to go home tomorrow but I feel like I'd love another day of just catching up with all the children. I love that I got to connect with "Bad Cat" but there's also Sara&Joel, and other kids I love who love me. And my friend Amy, and some others, man. 

It's hard to go home when you still have stuff and people you miss and wanna see. 

Anyway. Here we are from tonight. This time tomorrow I'll be getting in my own bed. That's a wonderful thing, yes?

Tomorrow. Breakfast! 

Digits below


Thursday digits
exercise:
12/12 hours; 20 min/1 mile walk, should have done a bit more but that's okay. 7k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

9am: 128
4:30pm: 114
xpm: n/a - forgot to take before getting in bed

food & meds:

9am: jardiance, new meds
1pm: met+glip; scallops, beets, coleslaw
4:30pm: part of the new meds
7:45pm: met+glip
10:45pm: fritos and boursin cheese; white wine


Friday digits
exercise:
12/12 hours; 34 min walk, 1.61 mi. 10k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

8:45am: 123
4:15pm: 192
10:30pm: 160

food & meds:

8:45am: jardiance, new meds
12:30pm: met+glip; pb& low sugar j on the last of mom's butter bread (I brought the sandwich with me)
3pm-ish: a bunch of hard pretzels
7pm: chinese food (lo mein, peking ravioli, general tso's chicken, fried rice) white wine; met+glip 

No comments:

Post a Comment