Because I let myself do a big Do Nothing day on Sunday I need to up my steps this week to get up above an 11k average. I have hit 10k+ every day this week but I'm under a 10k average for the week so far.
Maybe I'll.... do more before the end of Saturday.
Today I woke up in this Dolly Parton Void World, thinking of childhood literacy and being a rhinestone instead of a diamond. Work was going well until I heard of the death of Tim Curry.
Now.
C'mon.
Honestly. What?
First of all, everyone reading this go check on your gays! GO NOW AND CHECK ON THEM BECAUSE THIS IS ARMAGEDDON TO THEM!
At the core of my Christian cishet privileged white woman existence, your girl is shook.
I'm thinking about how both Dolly and Tim Curry ushered in a period of time culturally where people were encouraged to be themselves, embrace who they are, "don't dream it, be it!" Where her songs were all about accepting your roots and rising up to being amazing, and Tim was just the sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvania, and everyone should be all of these things.
It is OK.
I remember going to see Rocky Horror so many times in theaters in my hometown, where many of my friends were all closeted, afraid. Afraid of their families and society.
And I will tell you what.
I was there for it. Let your freak flag fly, and I'mma prop you up and defend you against all the shitheels who come at us from all sides. I saw you in the 80s, I see you today, and I love you.
I told someone on Bluesky that my religious observances are based on the teaching of Dolly Parton and Mr. Rogers and I mean that to my soul. And I recognize that yes, she was beloved by "both sides" of the political spectrum, but only one side defunded her charity bringing books to children from birth. Yeah, they loved some of her songs like Islands in the Stream, or Here you come Again, but had no desire to support her "controversial" side where she stood up for the marginalized and impoverished and she stood up for literacy no matter what.
Part of me so very much hates the universe right now.
Anyway.
It's been a rough couple days and I'm sad. I'm also irritated.
Work was hard, but good. I had a great meeting with my boss. My work son is super bummed about the universe, just like me so we had a big commiseration moment. I love him. I love having moments where we can just scream together.
Speaking of screaming.
Tomorrow morning, Geoff leaves for his first 2 day run at college.
He has a hotel reservation for Thursday night. He understands how to work this all. He made the reservation himself. He'll check in and check out. He will partake in the hotel hot breakfast. They have a pool. I've encouraged him to embrace this all.
He'll decide if the hotel is decent enough to return next week or, to or "hell fucking no" it all and we'll help him pick something better.
He will leave tomorrow at around 6am to drive down and go straight to the college. He has to register his car for a parking pass. He has a giant break between the morning class and the afternoon lab, so I encouraged him to just chill, go to the mall, see if the hotel can do early check-in but not be disappointed if they cannot.
We put the Mini in the shop earlier this week for an oil change and tune-up and it turns out, she's not healthy. She needs a new Turbo Dealie (technical term) which will cost about 5k to repair.
D'oh.
So he'll take the Volvo on his trip this week, which is good, The mini is "good for non-highway" trips. Around town stuff. We can deal with that. Plus, the Aux adapter in the mini is broken, so that makes for travel being no fun when you need your GPS and your heavy black metal stuff at 6am.
Doug is looking for a new car, but, we can technically just drive the mini for local stuff forever at this point. I'd rather we do that and like, do other things like work around the house.
I decided to bake cookies tonight. I was feeling big anxiety, so. Baking. Baking is the thing to do when the world feels awful and when you're just frazzled.
I took a recipe off the Ghirardelli chocolate chips bag, and added an extra stick of butter the way I usually do with the regular Nestle chips. I thought it sounded like the recipe didn't call for enough flour overall, and I was right. Should have trusted my instincts.
The cookies spread out all over the pan, and it was messy. Soooooooo messy. But also, not complaining, it was also so delicious. I added a little bit extra butter for the last 8 cookies and those are much better.
I'll send those with Geoff tomorrow. So he has a bit of home with him.
Tonight, he was making dinner after work, and Doug and I went to pick up the car. He said "I'm gonna miss this," which struck me as funny.
"Oh honey. You'll be home Friday afternoon, and you can cook dinner every night between then and Thursday morning when you leave again. You're not moving out, you're coming back. I'll just need to know what you want to make, so that we have groceries in the house for you."
I love this guy. And I love that he loves to cook, for us and for himself. Someday he'll have his own place and be cooking all the time.
And I'll be eating PB&J sammitches every night because I can't be bothered to cook!
This morning I was up early, and Toffee and I enjoyed the porch. Late August is delightful. I like it here.
Digits, below.
digits
exercise: 12/12 hours; treadmill run, 25 min/1.85 mi 10k+ steps by bedtime
blood glucose:
7:45am: 107
4pm: 200 (see apple pie below)
10pm: 102
food & meds:
7:45am: jardiance, new meds
8:45: a couple oreo cookies w/coffee
1pm: homemade granola, Oikos OOO yogurt mixed; met+glip
3pm: slab of apple pie w/whipped cream (I really just wanted the whipped cream but needed an excuse)
6pm: chicken & rice a la Geoff; wine
7:30pm: more wine; met+glip
8pm: chocolate chip cookie mess spectacular; more wine


No comments:
Post a Comment