Thursday, August 06, 2026

Choosing Joy and Forgetting the Things

Wednesday
I was up early this morning, so I started packing and then I started baking. 

Like you do, of course, the day you're leaving for a trip. Why not?

First though, loading the dishwasher. 

No one unloaded it yesterday, so I personally didn't feel like doing that AND loading it. I said "meh" and just went to bed. But I can't create new mess when mess is already in the way. I unloaded the dishwasher. 

I noticed that there was some gritty fleh stuff on the dishes, what's up with that. A few things had to go back through and I wonder where's this grit coming from? 

Truth be told, I'm bothered over it, but I'm leaving. I'll just tell Geoff to be on the lookout for flecks of stupid shit on the clean dishes and wipe/hand wash anything that needs some attention. I will ask Doug to look at it, and chances are he will not. I'll deal with it when I get back.

Once the dishwasher was loaded and the big skillet from dinner last night and a few bowls that did not fit into the dishwasher for this round were soaking in the sink, I made the pan-banging chocolate chip and the peanut butter cookies. 

Sadly, I could only make one batch of each because we are out of butter. The travesty!

With Geoff working every day, and sometimes working later than I expect, we're not getting all of the groceries we need. And I'm not about to take my ass out into the world and get things. That's what the Boy is for! 

Happy for him having a job and all but it crimps my style. 

I had an 11am meeting get canceled, so I hit the treadmill. Gotta make sure I don't fail at my steps right? I had a good 30 minute run and took a shower. We had a team meeting with our SVP. This happens once a month and I always appreciate her. After that was my check in with my boss. He said "oh your friends are probably going to be there soon to get you so we can cancel this." Nope. They ... were not. 

I made some candied nuts but I don't know what the deal is lately when I make these - they never like, get ... dry. I guess I have to leave them stand a couple days? But usually when I would make them they'd crisp up, get candied and what not. These are moist. And weird. And I do not like. 

Hmmm. 

Geoff got home from work, went to the gym, stopped and bought me wine, and made dinner. S&S&H didn't get to my house until 7, which was frustrating to me but I got over it. I knew we'd have at least a 5 hour trip, and it was going to rain. 

We got just between Harrisburg and Carlisle on 81 and traffic ground to a halt. Both our GPSes pointed to getting off the highway, which normally I'm like hell yes, but at night through corn country and ancient civil war 2 lane roads, this could be a challenge. 

We were cruising along, following an 18 wheeler who was making the same moves we were the whole way until we got to a detour. Car accident. Okay, turn left and recalculate. Super! it's working. 

Then, another accident. Cops and fire trucks and ambulances everywhere. And the big truck pulled into a parking lot to do his own rerouting, and we knew if we could get up to the right (the accident was over on the left in front of a Sheetz, at the other side of the crossroads, we'd be all set. But the guy wave us back the other way. 

Okay. 

GPS? Do your thing? First she wanted to send us back to the intersection where accident 1 was, but we passed that right turn and kept going. Eventually, a right turn with a dude right on our ass. S was getting super nervous but I told her she was doing great. Keep going. I could see on the map, up ahead, Rte 11. That'll work. She'll work. Rte 11 dances next to 81 forever, so I knew we'd be good. 

81 was still a parking lot, so we kept to 11 and eventually saw our opportunity to get back onto the highway. 

Detour added 10 minutes to our trip even though we drove all over hell and half of Georgia to get back on the highway. 

Continuing. Driving. Telling jokes and laughing. At one point S told a story about an opportunity to just choose joy instead of anger, so I told her we were all actively choosing joy with this situation. 

After Lehigh Valley - the rain started. And It was epic. Darkness, pouring rain, the blessing of being behind an 18 wheeler with excellent reflecting tape and no spray back. We held there for a long time. It was a slow down - we'd been doing up over 60-70 mph but had to go 55 for quite some time. Adding more time to the trip. 

Lightning. blinding. (Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening me!)

Police lights and construction. blinding. 

We got into NY and were so close. So close. 20 miles to the hotel. I said "If we do this again next year, let's not make a reservation at this hotel even though we've stayed here many times - lets just plan to get off the highway when it is right." And we all agreed. 

S said "or, I can be on time to getting to your house when I said I'd get to your house. 

Mind you - she promised between 3 and 5. 

No harm, no foul - she did the driving, she carried the burden. I'm proud of her. 

She told herself the whole time that she wanted one of my cookies, but would save it as a reward for getting us to the hotel. 

We pulled in the parking lot, and I'm not joking, 2am. Laughing our asses off, choosing joy. And a train whistle blew. 

And scared the shit out of all of us.

"WHAT KIND OF FINAL DESTINATION MOVIE PLOT IS THIS!"  she yelled.  

She got her cookie, and was emotionally just relieved and happy, and said it was the most delicious cookie she had ever eaten in her life. 

I bet it was.

Usually when we get here to the hotel, in years past it is 11pm or Midnight and we have a cocktail and chillax. 

We all just went to bed. Choosing bed and choosing joy. 

Thursday
I woke up at 8:45. Got up, got out the door. I walked over to the stop & shop for a few things. I took my blood sugar and took the regular morning meds. I wanted some yogurt and S needed some prilosec. So it was a fun jaunt. 

I got back and started to organize my stuff for the day, starting with my meds. I realized, sadly, I left my metformin at home. Crap. I'm going to be up here for close to a week and a half, so it isn't like "oh well, can't worry bout that!" 

I emailed my doctor to see if she could send in an order for them at the Walmart by my hotel. I didn't hear back from her. I emailed Doug to ask if he could mail a bottle to C's so they are there by the time I get there Monday. So he did. 

Then at 6pm I got a text from Walmart welcoming me to their pharmacy program. Oh, okay. No email from my actual doctor though. But. I guess she put a script order in. I will go pick those up in the morning. 

Suffice to say, I can see a big difference in the blood sugar by not taking that medication. Eve with all my activity and movement today. That number is dumb and high. 

Back on track tomorrow. 

We hit the road around noon thirty. Linda texted me that she was bored. She was also driving up and I figured she might be near us. 

Little did I know how near. 

She was literally a couple exits behind us. Wow. We stopped at the Charlton rest area on the Mass Pike and Linda came in right behind us. We had a quick snacky snack mealy meal. And then hit the road again. 

Linda needed to go to Staples. She made some crafty things to trade with other crafty folks. I didn't make anything this year, but she went above and beyond. Team S and I got to the hotel around 7 (I had told her it would be close to an 8 hour trip, and I was basically an hour off, but close). We checked in, unloaded the car, and Linda came right shortly after. We headed to the annual meet up at the Highroller Lobster Company. We were super late, so missed a few folks but it was super fun to connect with a bunch of friends and have a meal. I got the chicken sandwich and I forgot that it is usually overcooked. The batter on the fried breast cut up the roof of my mouth. 

I mean, it was delicious but. Ouch. Then I ate trail mix and hurt my mouth more because I am dumb.

We got back to the hotel room, had a comedy of errors for over an hour trying to find my purse. Finally lin told me to go to google and Find My Phone, and it said it was here, in the building. Not on a table at the restaurant. And I KNEW it wasn't because Lin had dropped her room key in the car, S handed it to me and I put it in the purse. And then, got it out of the purse to open the door to the room. So there. Fuck. Where the hell is it.

We unpacked everything. Absolutely tore the fucking room apart, and thanks to the magic of technology, there she was - I hit the ringer and it was deep in my duffel bag. 

Black purse under black pants under black bathing suit. 

God.

So that was an adventure. 

Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a friend who used to be a friend of S&S. But they had a massive falling out over many a big thing. I was somewhat reluctant to do this, but S blessed me in doing it, and in spending time with her. No skin off her nose. 

I still feel weird a bit, but, I am hoping to connect and catch up. She is my friend too. And I'd like to just catch up because we're here and all. 

Some pictures below. 



Wednesday digits
exercise:
12/12 hours, treadmill run, 30 min/2.1 mi (seems to be what I'm good at!); 12k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

8:45am: 124
4:30pm: 108
2am on Thursday: 174

food & meds:

8:45am: jardiance, new meds
1pm: 2 slices of sharp cheddar, sliced roast beef, mayo, small potato roll; met+glip
4:30pm: new meds
6:30pm: met+glip. bowl of mac & cheese w/bacon

Thursday digits
exercise:
 9/12 hours, walk to and from the market, about 15 min./.6 mi; 10k steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

8:45am: 150
n/a pm: x
11pm: 234 (*) see entry above about meds

food & meds:

8:45am: jardiance, new meds
10am: Oikos 000 peach yogurt w/granola bar
2pm: glip (no met)
4pm: new meds
5pm: 8 chicken mcnuggets
8pm: fried chicken sandwich (and I ate the bun) at the highroller lobster co; glip. One beer
10:30pm: glass of wine w/ice
11pm: trail mix. ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment