Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Alarm Clocks

I sometimes don't know who to thank or curse over the creation of alarm clocks. 

This morning, Phin got me up at 7 (he's my alarm clock most days) and I let him out, fed him, checked on the coffee that Geoff made at 5am to see if he'd turned the power off or not (he sometimes does, so then the coffee is cold, but today it was hot). When Phin came back in,  we decided to snuggle back into bed for another 90 minutes, snooze or not snooze, cuddle, maybe play with my phone (just me, not him).  I did doze, and he did snore. 

It was bliss.

The weather has been super nice lately, so I have been happy to sleep with the windows open every night and wake up freezing. It was 58 degrees in the hallway. Perfect for blankies and piddows and snooshy smooshy zzzz, ahhh.  

I enjoy all the usual sounds with the windows open: the birdies; the crickets; the rumble of the train and its lonesome whistle in the distance; the hum of the Beltway traffic; the cars going down the street hitting the speed bump in front of my house and squeaking their suspensions; the contractor vehicles hitting the speed bump in front of my house and all their gear slamming back down onto the vehicle frame. 

And a this morning, new one.

Someone's alarm clock going off.

Way off somewhere in the neighborhood the buzzbeep went on and on. I was cozy in bed, cuddled in with Phin, and didn't want to get up to close the windows. But oh my God. Why. 

There should be a law.

The FCC should get involved, make it so if an alarm clock goes on for more than 5 minutes it automatically turns off. And by law, if someone commits the atrocity of setting their alarm and leaving on vacation, or going to work, they're fined or arrested. 

When Linda and I were in Boston, we paid a large amount of money for a very nice hotel in downtown. Linda had always wanted to stay there. So. I treated her. 

The beds were horribly uncomfortable, and the doors were plywood. We could hear people walking up and down the hall, chatting by the elevator, and... someone's alarm clock going off in a room somewhere down the hall. 

I ended up calling the front desk to complain, and ask if someone could please  come turn it off. The front desk person asked if I was sure I was hearing an alarm clock from one of the rooms. I tried not to be sarcastic saying, well, it isn't the alarm clock going off in my brain.

I also said, "you should have housekeeping make this a task on their room setup. Clean the toilet, make the bed, check the fucking alarm clock to make sure it is not set for 5:45am. Please send someone up to find it, and turn it off. Maybe someone set it to go to the airport or something and they already left and forgot. Or maybe a hotel guest is dead."

Minutes later, I heard security in the hall talking. "Yeah, it's coming from over here." Then it stopped, I heard that room door slam, and they chatted on their way back to the elevator about "wow that must have been annoying."

Yes, it was. Thank you. 

See? I'm not crazy. 

My dog is exceptionally adorable tonight. Look at him. 

digits

exercise: I passed on a walk tonight and now that it is 10pm I regret it. Never thought I'd say that.

blood glucose:
9am: 161
5pm: 172
9:30pm: 158

food:
coffee, water
10:30am: 2 good strawberry yogurt
11:15: ramekin of chicken salad (before doug eats it all)
noon: 4 chocolate chip cookies (stress eating)
1:30: apple. Metformin
3pm: 2 pieces of leftover chicken thighs from dinner the other night
7pm: 3 pieces of grilled chicken thighs, huge giant salad with goat cheese, romaine, grape tomatoes, cukes

No comments:

Post a Comment