Friday, September 16, 2022

perspective

I have been doing pretty well with my primary/dominant hand out of commission. 

I have used a fork and spoon pretty well, made sandwiches kind of well, held my toothbrush and brushed my teeth successfully, wiped my butt, loaded the dishwasher. 

Not all at the same time. Obviously.

Today I was eating chicken salad and a ton of it fell off the fork and all over my shirt and the couch. I grumbled and cursed a bit. Doug gently pointed out that it was okay, it sucked, but try to imagine what life would be like if this was me with a head injury or a stroke impacting that whole side of my body. 

I asked him if my ability to swear a lot would be impacted, because then it would be very disappointing and I would not like it at all. 

But it put things into perspective for me. Eventually, this will pass and be over with, and my hand will feed my face, and break dog cookies in half, and wipe my butt again. The sun still shines, God is in his heaven, and while not absolute perfection, there are good things in this world. 

I took the afternoon off after not taking time off for the past 2 days. I took a big nap. I fought with the automated phone system for my doctor and my pharmacy. I logged back into my computer to learn I am the point person for a big data migration on Monday Morning, ohhhh okay? And caught up on slack and other things so I feel I at least know what is going on. Cool Cool. 

Doug went to pick my prescription up. I don't know what we are having for dinner, but he's been gone long enough he is probably grabbing something. Maybe. 

Today's picture features a gift that Carrie gave me years ago that comes in very handy - no pun intended - when I have hand things going on. He's been a support for me for many hospital stays, most recently the Covid trip. When I have an IV in my hand, he is the perfect support and keeps me from whacking my hand against the bed frame. He helps elevate my hand when I am in bed to just the right height. 

It also reminds me that even though she isn't right here bringing me 300 dollars worth of chinese food while I am in the hospital, Carrie is always close. Thanks buddy, both of you,  you are an asset to the organization.

Digits below. 

digits

exercise: not again today but will try tomorrow

blood glucose:
9:30am: 203
4:30pm: 170
10:45pm 197

food:
coffee, water
11am: chicken salad bowl
12pm: metformin. more chicken salad (to finish it off)
2pm: fajita wrap with pb&j
4:30: apple, mouthful of sunflower seeds
6pm: metformin & jardiance
6:45: 3 small beef burritos, low carb fajita wraps, cheese, sour cream
7:30 2 peanutbutter cups from doug because i am having a rough day and he loves me but that's gonna impact the bedtime read

No comments:

Post a Comment