Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Unwrappening

 After coffee and Chess Blues on the spotify this morning, Doug helped unwrap my hand and clean the wound. It was ugly, but once we had it airing out, it started to look much nicer.

I had it unwrapped and unsplinted since about 1pm and just wrapped it up for the night shift. All nice and clean. 

My hand obviously still hurts, but my fingers are looking pretty straight, and they only really hurt if I bump them or try to extend them. The swelling is noticeable and the bruising is horrid. But the booming throb of my pulse through my hand is lessened, and I feel like things are behaving. 

I'm typing pretty well right, and my ring finger, the really bad finger, did a lot of the duty. Nice to have you back, buddy. 

After we unwrapped my hand, Doug did a hydrogen peroxide rinse on the wound. He was very helpful and loving. I called him Doctor Doug. I took a shower, had not had one since Wednesday. I usually hate going more than a day without, so this was lovely. But I forgot to bring a face cloth into the shower with me. 

Note to me and to you - it is hard to wash your armpit on the opposite side of your body from the hand that does not work. I ended up sticking the bar of soap into my pit and squishing it about with my left shoulder and upper arm. 

I made myself giggle. Not because it was ticklish, but because it was ridiculous. 

It was a challenge drying off, so I just kind of sat in front of the fan in my bedroom with the towel over me. 

But wow did it feel good to be clean. When I was in the hospital in December 2020 with the covid, they wouldn't let me shower at all. I went about 8 days without. I had been sick at home before getting admitted, so there were a few days before going in that I was already behind self cleaning schedule. Getting home the first thing I did was shower and it was wonderful. Just to get in my bed, in a t-shirt and underwear, hair still wet, snuggle down with the blankets. Bliss. Today felt very similar.

For lunch I asked geoff to make me a turkey and cheese sandwich. He went ahead and did it - with no mayo and the wrong bread. I pointed this out to him and he got huffy. So I said "fine, thank you for making me lunch" and sat there and looked at the sandwich. The ... sadwich.

After I while, I decided I'd just add some mayo to it, so I went into the kitchen. Doug had left the sandwich skillet on the stove with the butter dish beside it, and the spatula. So I had the bright idea to grill the sandwich. Who doesn't love grilled sandwiches on sourdough bread? I said 'okay carbs, okay blood sugar, sorry for this..." and went at it. 

Buttering the bread while lefty was a challenge. I felt like I was murdering the stick of butter and then totally destroying the bread. Eventually I got it all spread around and the bread didn't tear too badly. I heated up the skillet and plopped the sandwich down. Then I realized flipping it would be a bigger challenge, because I have little or no motor concept and control with my left hand. Figured out a plan, and I grabbed the butter knife out to steady the sandwich on the spatula, and flipped it over. But it slid apart. Instinctively I reached in to adjust with my right hand, and yikes did that hurt. Extending my fingers like that, I felt it hard. But. Sandwich was saved. And it turned out perfectly. Delicious. But ouch. note to self. Be careful. Hurty is no fun.

I have been gingerly bending and extending my fingers. Gently massaging my mandibles. I'm also very itchy. Unpleasant.  I took a tramadol after my shower, and the pain is minimal right now. I'm sure the medication is helping a lot, that's what it is for! And later I may be in a shit ton of agony for overdoing it. But. 

I can type like a motherfucker while the splint is off.

My sister continues to make memes of the pictures I send her. I don't want to post the best one she made because it is really gross and I am not wanting to gross out all 4 readers of this blog. Ha. So no picture today!







digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+22. After 3 days of no walkies, I set out to do the 10 minimum and just kept going while Doug was making dinner. Perfect amount of time.

blood glucose:
10:30am: 191
6pm: 191
10:15pm: 120

food:
coffee, water, iced coffee
noon: 2 good yogurt
2pm: metformin, grilled turkey & muenster sandwich on sourdough bread (out of 647); apple
6pm: Metformin+Jardiance
6:45pm: salmon curry (salmon, coconut milk, diced tomato, onion, and basmati rice - just a little).
G&T
9pm: sunflower seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment